Install gas stove, where I have electric

Old 06-29-03, 03:06 PM
scottkeen
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Install gas stove, where I have electric

I love to cook, and I must cook with gas.

My stove is electric, and to me, cooking with electric is like driving a sportscar with an automatic transmission. It's just not right.

I live on the top floor of a 3-story condominium building. We have electric appliances throughout, and there are *no* gas lines installed.

I like my condo, and don't want to move. What I do want is a gas stove and oven to replace my electric.

Is there a way, and is it legal, to install a gas stove/oven and hook it up to a tank somewhere?

When my parents lived in Italy in an apartment, I remember that they had a 6-foot tall skinny gas tank on their balcony with lines running through the outside wall and into the kitchen and hooked up to the stove. This was how most apartments were outfitted there.

Do we have something similar in the US?

Or, any suggestion about how to get a gas stove to work in my kitchen would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 06-29-03, 03:30 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Scott

Sorry to say but you have a major dilemma problem. If there current is no gas lines installed in the unit and worse yet the entire building, you will most likely never have gas.

At least not in the manner you described. There would be a whole host of rules and codes to conform to and doing so would be highly unlikely and extremely costly.

Buidling of multiple units have strict codes to adhere to in order to have gas of either type, natural or propane. Unless the co op elects to contract to provide gas to other units, the natrual gas supplier won't even discuss the matter with a single unit owner.

Unless of course you are the owner of the entire building of three units. Either way and either fuel type, you will need to hire a professional installer to do the piping so it meets codes.

Best bet is to discuss the matter with the co op or your local plumbing contractors whom do the pipe installing and the building and safety department office in your area. I can not think of any other means to adhere to codes and offer you assistance.

Thanks for posting a well detailed explaination of the conditions and your desire to install a gas appliance where none already exist. Makes my task of offering you some help much easier.

Regards & Good Luck.
Do It Yourself Web Site Host & Gas Appliances Forum Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: