Oven Temp Control

Old 07-06-03, 10:48 AM
gdleblanc
Visiting Guest
GE Profile temperature sensor/ERC

I have a GE Profile Gas slide in range model number JGSP30GER2BG. I believe that the temperature sensor or ERC may be defective. The oven does not get as hot as the control says. I cannot figure out how to get to the temperature sensor so that it can be tested. I assume that I can get to it from the ERC, but i cannot figure out har to get to the ERC. I have removed all of the screws arount the control panel with the ERC and stove knobs, but still cannot get to the ERC. Any ideas??

Old 07-06-03, 11:47 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello gdleblanc and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances forum.

Before assuming a part is defective and or needs to be replaced or removed for any testing, contact the local gas supplier. Many utilities offer calibration testing and adjusting services. Some do this free while others for a small fee.

Most thermostats can be recalibrated. Not uncommon for them to vary in temp over time, age and usage. Calibration is not a do it yourself task. Requires skills, experience, tools and a special digital read out electronic instrument.

Excerpt from a prior reply made.

The first thing to be sure of before attempting any repairs is to insure that the door closes correctly and completely.

Also check the door gaskets. Replace them if there is any doubt as to there condition.

Next is to insure there is nothing in the ovens baking inside area that would block and or restrict the natural flow of heat upwards and out the venting outlet. No aluminum foil is to be used ever.

If all the above is found to be in correct and or after replacing the door gaskets, call your gas supplier. Request a thermostat calibration be done to check and verify the condition exists.

If the condition does exist and the thermostat cannot be adjusted to correctly maintain the set temp, the thermostat is defective and must be replaced.

Oven thermostats cannot be calibrated without the usage of an electronic digital temperature sensing and display device. This electronic device is called a fluke. Named after the person whom invented it.

Any do it yourself attempts to adjust the temperature settings without this electronic device or a similar electronic digital readout device will do more harm than good. Trust me.

If you need further assistance use the REPLY button. Doing so moves the topic back up to the top of the daily list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host & Gas Appliances Topic Moderator. TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics and Technician Services.

Old 07-06-03, 01:18 PM
gdleblanc
Visiting Guest
I looked at those tings that you mention and do not see a problem. The GE Profile has a digital eradout for the temperature and other controls. Can it be calibrated. From reading other information it seems like it could be the temperature sensor that can be tested with an ohm meter. I just need to get to the leads from the sensor to the ERC. But i can't figure out hoe to get to the ERC for this model. From the diagrams that I can find it appears that I have to take the entire cooktop off. Is there an easier way to test the sensor? If it needs replacement, I am sure that I will have to get to the ERC for the connection anyway.

Old 07-06-03, 03:51 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: gdleblanc

Electronic digital temperature read out displayed on the front panel thermostats can be calibrated without an external hand held electronic temp senser.

The instructions to do a self calibration should be in the owners manual. Some manufacturers include the procedure while others do not. Much depends on the maker of the thermostat.

Therefore, to answer your question can it be calibrated, the answer is yes. But must be done according to the instructions.

Most utilities do not attempt to calibrate those types of thermostats. At least none that I am aware of. Calling the utility and asking would provide the answer.

Doing so would also help to know if there service reps have the generic instructions to calibrate the digital readout type thermstat installed in your oven.

Removing the entire cook top is required. Knowing exactly how is the trick of the trade. Unable to offer specific instructions here in a text only format nor have pictures available.

Very possible a trip to the local appliance parts store would be helpful to obtain detailed information. Call the manufacturer. Use the local phone book directory to locate dealers.

Modern day equipment of any variety is mass produced and all are difficult to work on, access parts, etc. All making repairs and parts replacement difficult and time consuming for both the diy person and the professional service person.

Your point is well taken. Difficult to access parts. Time is money in any industry. All of which drives up the costs of repairs....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: