Dryer Not Heating

Old 07-07-03, 03:27 PM
Daucsset
Visiting Guest
Question I have read posts and still have a ??

I have read posts about gas dryers not heating. I have replaced the igniter and the coils on the gas valve. In that order. The question that I have is this. Since the dryer has stopped heating, I have noticed that the timer does not move on its own to turn the dryer off. We have been running it on fluff since we are using a solar dryer until I can get this fixed. HA HA !! You can turn it and it shuts the dryer off. I was wondering if this has anything to do with the dryer not igniting? I am going to test the flame sensor after I get off of here.
Thanks for you time
Chip
I checked the flame sensor and it registered a 1.3ohms on the continuity test. Is this good or bad. I am new to doing this kind of stuff. I also noticed that the metal under the glass was black. Normal?

Last edited by Daucsset; 07-07-03 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-07-03, 09:06 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Daucsset. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum.

At this point in time and diagnosing the possible problem, the first test that needs to be done is to visually insure the glow coil is glowing initially upon start up.

Until that can be determine, whether it glows or not, I cannot suggest replacing the timer or flame senser. I would not be able to determine if the timre is at fault or the flame senser. Post a reply back and advise me if the coil is or is not glowing.

Old 07-08-03, 07:07 AM
Daucsset
Visiting Guest
no it does not glow.

Old 07-08-03, 07:29 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Daucsset

Thermostat could very weel be the source of the problem if the coil has been replaced as well as the solenoids. Timers work on internal contact points. One may be defective.

Timer replacement is the only option. That part is non repairable.

Possibility could be a defective gas valve. Remove entire gas valve unit as an assembly. Take the entire assembly to your local appliance parts store for testing.

Gas valves are not repairable. Replacement is the only option, if the gas valve is found to be defective.

Glow ignitors are fragile & they crack and or break easily. I hope the new replacement did not get a tiny crack which can be almost invisable, during installation.

Check the wire connections both to the coil and the solenids. Be sure all quick disconnects are securely attached and making good contact, etc.

Old 07-09-03, 09:11 AM
Daucsset
Visiting Guest
Well, after replacing the igniter, coils and the timer and a call to a repairman to come fix it because none of that worked, he told me to check the thermal fuse. He said to take the wires off of the thermal fuse and join them. When I did that the dryer worked just like it is suppose to. So after $100.00 already spent it turned out to be a $13.00 part. My wife is now happy.
Daucsset
Oh, just so you will know, the thermal fuse controls the motor for the timer also. When it blows it kills the timer motor also.
Atleast it does on the Whirlpool that I have........

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: