Dryer not getting hot

Old 07-09-03, 06:59 PM
DSeputis
Visiting Guest
Dryer not getting hot

I am an idiot when it comes to appliance repair. I just took the front panel off my dryer to see why my dryer is not getting hot enough. Looks as if the igniter is working, but the flame (glow) does not stay on constantly. Does anyone have any input?

Old 07-09-03, 07:16 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello DSeputis. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The problem of dryers not heating can be many. All of them are covered within the existing questions in the forum. With those possible causes are all the possible solutions. Reading them will provide a wealth of information and plent of possibilities.

The most likely reason is a restricted vent. Remove the existing vent from the dryer. Attempt to dry a normal load of clothes.

If the ingitor remains on and the clothes dry normally, the venting system is clogged and or restricted. Celaning it out and clearing the restriction will solve the problem.

All those other possibilities are fully explained in the existing questions pertaining to dryers that do not heat or do not get enough heat, etc.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. Take will need the make, model and serial numbers.

Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask additional questions. Doing so will automatically keep your question at the top of the forum list.

Regards & Good Luck. TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Doityourself Web Site Host & Gas Appliances Forum Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 07-10-03, 06:24 AM
DSeputis
Visiting Guest
Is the coil (igniter?) supposed to stay on, or does it keep going on and off? I have already cleaned everything out, but I am not too sure if it is doing what it is supposed to. Like I originally said, I am no good at appliance repair (this would actually be my first time!) Thanks so much! Dawn

Old 07-10-03, 07:10 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Dawn

I didn't clearify my statement regarding the ignitor. To correctly answer your question, no, the ignitor glows until the burner ignites than it turns off.

The ignitor then cycles on and off every cycle. By that I mean it turns on only to ignite the burner but turns off after the burner lights and the flames remain on.

3 Questions.
Does the dryer dry clothes when the venting system is removed from the back of the dryer?
Is the outside vent hood flapper <inside the hood> free to open and close?
Have you read the many already asked questions in this forum pertaining to dryers that do not heat? Doing so will provide you with lots of other possible problem causes and the solutions to fixing them.

BTW:
You are as good at fixing this dryer as anyone else whom asks questions on dryers that have problems. Think positive. Fixing anything is a step by step process. Thus far you're doing well.

Post your reply to answer the questions above and we can move forward, unless you read the existing questions and determine what the problem is and fix it from the info read...

Old 07-10-03, 08:41 AM
DSeputis
Visiting Guest
Ok, I think I understand a little more now. As far as I saw last night, the igniter lights up, but a flame does not stay lit. (This is probably why every 60 seconds it tries to relight it.) On a dryer is this considered a "pilot light" just like my furnace or hot water heater? I am hoping to try and fix this without having to pay someone $100.00 to come out for 5 minutes and fix it. Thanks for all your help so far, it is really appreciated. I go thru this everytime I try and fix something new for the first time! (Really, you should have seen me the first time I had to fix a toilet! Funny stuff!)

Old 07-10-03, 10:16 AM
Admin Emeritus
Arrow Solenoids or Gas Valve

Dawn

Based on your last reply post, I can more safely assume the most likely cause. The burner flame does light up but will not remain on.

Which also tells me we cannot verify if the vent is working since the burner flames lights up but will not stay on. Nor that you physically inspected it or removed it from the dryer. Time to move onwards.

All the above being the case, I would suspect the solenoids to be defective. I suggest you trun off the gas to the dryer. That can be done by the tiny valve which has a lever on it and it's located to the right side of the gas valve.

Once that tiny valve is turned off, remove the quick disconnect wires attached to the top of the solenoids, remove the 3-4 screws that attach the gas valve to the bottom of the dryer.

Most likely the two solenoids on top of the gas valve are defective and will need to be replaced. Once the gas valve assembly is removed, take it to any local appliance parts store in your area and have it tested.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be once they have the entire gas valve assembly. They will need the make, model and serial numbers.

Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Doing the above should resolve the problem of both determining the cause and fixing only the defective parts. Read the existing questions in this forum to learn how to re install the gas valve.

Old 07-10-03, 11:29 AM
DSeputis
Visiting Guest
Once again, thanks so much! You have been very helpful, and I will try my best!

Dawn

Old 07-10-03, 01:07 PM
Admin Emeritus
Dawn
Kindly excuse me, I for got to mention how to seperate the gas line after turning off that tiny lever on the gas supply pipe next to the gas valve.

The nut is a union. To remove it you will need to hold one half in place so it does not turn. The outside facing half turns clockwise to loosen it.

Tight fit to get two wrenches in the small space between the union and the dryer cabinet on most models. But it is very possible and has to be done prior to removing the 3-4 screws which hold the gas valve in place.

Sorry I forgot to mention all this in my prior post. Busy here and trying to do several things at one time. But that is often normal for me...LOL!...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: