water heater won't fire

Old 07-15-03, 09:47 PM
gold1500
Visiting Guest
Gas water heater won't fire

The other day the pilot light on my gas water heater went out. It was out a good day, never smelled any gas. I went to re-light the pilot - then turned the dial to the 'on' position, but the heater doesn't fire (seems no gas reaches the 'ring'). I tried turning it off and re-lighting it, same result. Anyone with any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Old 07-16-03, 06:26 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello gold1500. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum.

What needs to be known here is if the thermostat has been turned all the way up to the warmest temp. If the pilot will remain on, try raising the temp. Tank water heaters are capable of maintaining the set temp for days.

If the pilot does not remain on, replace the thermocouple. Another question that will provide some insight is the age & condition of the tank. Also the tanks type. As in standard tank or power vented, etc?

Chances are the thermocouple is too weak to porduce enough electrical current to keep the safety in the control open and open the internal gas valve to allow the burner to operate. Changing the T-Couple should resolve that problem.

There will not be any smell of gas. The safety system built into the control does not allow gas to flow to the burner if the thermocouple is too weak or not burning correctly.

There should not be any yellow in the pilots flame. If there is it indicates there is dust or lint in the pilot assembly. Use canned compressed air to blow out the dust and or lint in that pilot assembly.

An excellent source for original replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store. Appliance parts dealers stock replacement parts for all appliances. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers if you stop in at the store. The info will help to determine the possible problem causes.

Be sure the appliance is turned off before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks whenever a repair includes any connection of a gas part, gas line or tubing or gas supply.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or questions, etc. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Read the already asked questions, within this forum, on this topic of water heaters and the replies offered. In them you'll find additional information.

Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host & Gas Appliances Forum Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: