Oven Temp Control

Old 07-16-03, 01:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Magic Chef stove wont come up to temp!!

my gas stove wont work. the burners on top work fine, but the oven never gets up to temp. my wife set the temp to 350deg, and after an hour the temp only got to 220deg. she says it sounds like its "trying to work", which makes me think it wont stay lit. the model # is 3468VVV and we got it in 1997.

Thanks

Old 07-16-03, 04:50 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi: fatkid66

The first items to check are on the control panel. If there is a selection titled "Keep Warm" turn it to "Manual." Also check for any optional selection that allows time selection or timed bake.

If none of the above applies and the hot surface ignitor is glowing a bright yellow/orange color, it may or may not be functioning correctly.

Since the hot surface ignitor is functioning and the color may appear to be correct, as a diy project, it is the least expensive and easiest part to replace.

A weak hot surface ignitor is the most likely part to cause the problem and I would highly suggest replacing it first if all other possible suggestions are checked first. See below.

However, the hot surface ignitor is not the only cause or may not be the actual cause. The thermostat may be the culprit. But first check that the sensing element is clipped into it's place on the oven wall and not touching anything but the holding clips.

The gas valve may also be all or part of the cause. It takes current to keep the tiny solenoid valve inside it opened. There may be a high resistence within the valve or the weak hot surface ignitor.

A weak ignitor may not be able to supply the gas valve with enough current for it to operate properly. The HSI supplies 5 volts to the gas valve when it is operating properly. Time and usage creat high resistence in it which allows it to use more current and supply less to the valve.

The above is a lot of detail granted. But one needs to know how the system works in order to determine possible causes. The above are the easiest to fix and least expensive.

Other possible causes and more expensive to fix by replacement is the thermostat and ovens with electroniccentral control circuit boards.

Do to the difference between set temp and actual temp, I do not suspect the thermostat as the likely cause. Nor do I suspect a calibration of the thermostat to be needed or able to resolve the problem based upon your problem description.

Regards,
Sharp Advice.

Old 07-16-03, 06:29 PM
i checked around thru search, and at jeffs appliance aid site. i put my clamp on at the wire supplying the gas valve and only got 2.2 amps not the 3.2-3.6 that should be there. from finding that and reading the troubleshooting guide for the igniter, it seems that the weak igniter might be it. your post confirms that for me. thanks for getting back to me Tom. I appreciate your help!!!

Frank

Old 07-16-03, 07:10 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hi; Frank

I agree. Changing that ignitor will most likely resolve the problem. I posted a detailed reply to aid you in better determining the most likely cause of the problem and for the benefit of other members reading your question.

Todays modern and complicated appliances have many possible causes for the problems they often develope. I have to assume by offering as many likely causes as possible will help a member solve the problem more quickly.

Your question also offered me an opportunity to offer as many of the possible causes and there solutions. Therefore, while the opportunity existed, I took the time to post the detailed reply.

Hurry and fix that oven, make the wife happy, you'll eat better and I'll be right over for dinner too.....hahaha...

Regards,
Tom

Old 07-17-03, 05:42 AM
i figured this was a good way to get more use out of the grill!!!!

now that the deck is done(as posted in decks forum) i plan to use it as much as possible!!!!

UPDATE
Hey Tom!!
i ran and got the part ($60) and installed it lunchtime and it took me maybe 15 min.!!! the oven is fixed and my lovely wife and i are eternally grateful!!!!

If you're in the area from the left coast, drop a line, dinner can be arranged!!!
Thanks again!!!
Frank

Last edited by fatkid66; 07-17-03 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-19-03, 06:15 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Frank

Glad to know you where able to fix the oven. Thanks for replying back with the correction method and part used.

Now that the wife <Honey Bunches> is happy and thrilled the oven is working, your bound to be eating better and I will take a "Rain Check" on that offer.

Or. I could send over my "Right" coast cousins & family members. Have plenty nearby and in your area.

I am originally from NJ. Born in Newark.

Moved to the "Left Coast" years & years ago. I was only a mid teenager when Mom & Dad moved here.

But I have plenty of family still there who would love to use my "Rain Check'......LOL!

Regards,
U Know Who.

BTW:
I have now entered you also into the "Book."

The book of "Happy Campers."

Old 11-11-06, 11:42 AM
N
Thumbs up You made it easy for me!

I too have the same model of oven. Same problems as fatkid66. Not too much found searching google, but found your thread and took your 'Smart Advice'. Turned out to be truly smart advice. Same problem as fatkid66. The oven ignitor was bad.
Paid about the same price too. Found the part on the internet for cheaper, but impatience and shipping costs caused me to run to the local applicance parts store.

Thanks for your post!! It was greatly appreciated.

BTW - I have now registered and bookmarked this site for future reference. Always nice to know where the best resources are!!

Thanks again!

Old 11-12-06, 09:54 AM
Admin Emeritus
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard The DIY Web Site

Hello NickKnack and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site.

Glad to know you found the info needed, it was helpful and you where able to fix the oven yourself. Surfing the forums prior asked and replied to questions, as you have already done, is one of the quickest means to finding the help needed.

Another is reading the forum topic stickies which are found in many forum topics.

That's what the site is all about too! Fixing, repairing, installing, etc tasks and projects as diy stuff....

Return often. Post questions and get professional advice from the sites moderators. Each and every topic moderator is a professional in their respective fields, skills and/or trades.

Also help other members with information you can provide to them. Sharing is caring and all helpful advice is welcomed.

And also nice to have you as a new member too!
Welcome Aboard.

Sharp Advice. TCB4U2B2B Business Management Services.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Manager, Hiring and Promoting Agent & Moderator Team Leader.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: