gas oven/range

Old 07-25-03, 02:02 PM
jsalaz33
Visiting Guest
gas oven/range

While recently remodeling my kitchen, we moved our gas oven. When we reconnected it, I found that the oven turns on and off without turning the dial. It can go on all night if we don't unplug it. any suggestions?

Old 07-25-03, 08:46 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello jsalaz33. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Turns on by itself? That's a new one...

Let's see. In order for the oven to turn there has to be a connection between the burner, the thermostat and a few other safety related parts. The unit has to be plugged in a wall outlet.

You will need to supply me with much more detailed and specific information on the type of oven.

Is it in a stove model?
A unit built into or put into a cabinet?
What type of burner ignition system does it have?
A constantly burning pilot?
Electric glowing hot surface ignitor?
Does it have a computerized touch pad panel control?
How old is it? What brand is it?

Kindly supply much more detailed info and answers to the question above. Help me so I can help you.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers.

Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Also read several other questions in this forum on the subject of ovens. Doing so will provide you with enough information to determine what the problem is and how to correct it.

Use the REPLY button to add that additional information. Doing so will automatically move your question to the top of the forum list.

Regards & Good Luck.
Do It Yourself Web Site Host & Gas Appliances Forum Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 08-11-03, 08:28 AM
jsalaz33
Visiting Guest
Sorry I took so long to reply.

The make of my oven is Tappan. It is a oven/stove model. I don't know what year it is. It has an electronic ignition system. I'm not sure about the constantly burning pilot. I'm not sure what an electric glowing hot surface ignitor is, so I can't answer that question. It does not have a computerized touch pad panel control. I wish I could be more help but this is my first experience with this appliance.

I appreciate all your help.

Old 08-11-03, 08:07 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: jsalaz33. Welcome Back.

Glad you took the time to locate your original question and use that reply button to update the info. Doing so helps me and others reading the question. Thanks....

If the oven has a glowing coil or bar when the oven turns on, than the entire appliance has an electronic system as well has the top burners. The top burners than should have sparkers which click a spark to ignite the flames.

If this is the case and based on the problem symptom as you desribed it, the possible causes are electrical. There is most likely a shorted wire or a shorted connection within the appliance.

Since the oven should not automatically turn on unless the thermostat is turned on, the most likely places a shorted wire or connection can be is at the thermostat connection, in the wires going to it and through them.

The wires from the thermostat {T-Stat} will be going to the gas valve, may pass thru a fuse and to the glowing hot surface ignitor. Any electricall problem could than be anywhere within that system.

To further complicate matters, so of those wires may connect to other selection functions, buttons and or a clock. All depends on what optional accessories there are on the front panel.

In order to diagnose where the problem may be if it is in the system, is to check for continuity at all the terminal connections. CAUTION: The power must be turned OFF first.

It's also possible but not as likely, the T-Stat is turned on internally. Which means the internal contacts are stuck together. Shorted wires, etc will also turn on the appliance but does so sometimes while at others not so.

Therefore, one has to determine when it turns on if it does so occassionaly. If it turns on immediately when the electrical power is supplied to the appliance, chances are the T-Stat is the problem. Based on the fact the the T-Stat controls the system.

About all I have to offer at this time. Might be a good idea to pass this all by a pro at the local appliance parts store. These folks often have spend many years fixing appliances and may be able to provide you with some clues, possibilities and required parts.

Dealers can perform tests and stock replacement parts for all appliances. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Web site help links:
http://www.applianceaid.com/electric...ting_tips.html
http://www.applianceaid.com/gas.html#gas-help
http://www.repairclinic.com/

Regards & Good Luck. Forums Admin & Multiple Topic Moderator.
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.
Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: