furnace problems

Old 07-27-03, 02:22 PM
lawrence
Visiting Guest
furnace problem,s

when i lite my pilot light it goes out when i stop holding the buton in what would be my problem this is a furnace

seem,s to be dirty can they be cleaned it is in a trailer wall it,s a coleman furnace lrgagnon@sympatico.ca thanking you in advance lawrence

Old 07-27-03, 08:04 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello lawrence. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic & the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The most likely cause is a burned out thermocouple. Replacing it should resolve the problem. The thermocouple is the part the pilot flame is in contact with.

The opposite end of the thermocouple is threaded into the gas valve. This end must be carefully unscrewed out of the gas valves control using a small open ended wrench.

A thermocouple is generic except for it's length. Thermocouples are made in different lengths. Measure the removed part or take the one you remove to any hardware store and replace it with an exact duplicate in length. The parts cost is very nominal.

New thermocouple packages will contain complete do-it-yourself installation instructions and pictures. The package also contains additional clips of various assortments.

Not all the parts contained in the package with the thermocouple will be needed. The packages contain an assortment of holding parts and clips that are generic and designed to fit a wide variety of applications.

Read the other topics in this forum and those within the heating & cooling forum on the topic of heaters for additional information. Doing so will provide you with other problem possibilities and alternate correctional solutions to them.

Be aware that heating questions are not the man topic of concern this time of the year in many parts of this country. Therefore ot find topics on heaters, you will need to go back a few months nearer to the begining of this year.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask additional questions after attempting the correctional method offered.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 07-28-03, 08:18 PM
lawrence
Visiting Guest
heating problem

Thanking you for your advice very good i must say

i got it working would you believe i sprayed some wd40

lubricant around it and let it stand for 10 minutes

then i tried again it worked great it works like new

could not believe it tried it many times working fine

Thank you very much

p.s did you ever hear of penatrating oil working like this

Old 07-28-03, 08:42 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: lawrence

You will have to define what you mean by "it"

What is it?
What did you spray around?
The pilot assembly?
The thermoscouple?
The enter furnace?...
Please explain in detail.

If you sprayed the pilot assembly, chances are the problem is not resolved if the thermocouple is weak. But do explain what "it" is?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: