dryer belt replacement

Old 08-02-03, 04:02 AM
alwysmilynn
Visiting Guest
ge gas dryer belt replacement

Greetings! What a GREAT site!
Reading the previous messages and their related links has given me the info. and confidence I need to install the new belt by myself - a minor miracle for a grannie who has never seen the inside of a dryer. I have taken it apart, but before I install the belt I'd like to ask:
1. Should I look for causes for the old belt breaking or may I assume that after 21 years of service, it simply died of old age?
2. What things should I check up on while I'm "in there"?
3. Which gets turned back on first, the electricity or the gas and do I have to light any sort of piolet light?
4. My exhausting booklet on exhausting instructions stresses the fact that metallic flexible duct be used only and it appears that mine is made of some sort of white plastic material; why might that be?
5. I recall hearing somewhere that this appliance is the most common cause of fires and as my home's wiring is old, not up to code and has been subjected to Phoenix's heat since 1962, I would greatly appreciate it if you could elaborate on this point for me.
Allow me to send thanx, in advance, for your info. and time!
- alwyzsmilynn

(Sign above a tech supporters' desk) There's no such thing as a stupid question. There are, however, a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Old 08-02-03, 05:15 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello alwysmilynn. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Like that members name.... I'm always smiling too. But most likely for another reason. Smiling makes them wonder what in the **** is Tom up to now...

Regarding the belt, it most likely failed do to age and wear. If you managed to get that many years of trouble free service from it, than it is time to replace it. Which should not be a problem.

Simply replace it on the drum where the wear markings currently are and loop it over and under the pulleys. There may be a diaghram of how that is accomplished on the machine or in the owners manual if still available.

Best bet is to look closely how all parts are currently installed when taking the machine apart. Make written notes and hand drawings if needed. Than replace everything exactly as they currently are.

While the machine is apart, clean the inside throughly. Look for ware marks on the part on which the drum rotates, etc. Replace any worn part, etc. Most of which are those the drum rotates on or is supported by.

Before attempting any repairs, always turn of the gas to the machine. Should be a valve on the supply line. Pull out the power cord from the wall socket or turn of the circuit breaker to the electrical power supply.

It does not matter which gets truned back on first unless there is a gas part replaced. In this instance, turning on either first is fine. If a gas part where in need of replacement, the gas gets turned on first so a test for leaks can be done without any source of ignition nearby.

Regarding the venting system. Remove the line from the back of the machine. Simply replace it since it is plastic and low cost. measure it's existing length and replace it with like length.

There is some truth about using metal ducting with dryers. Of which I am not sold on. Plastic is fine with me and if it meets local codes it makes it's use okay too. Replace whichever is currently there for easy of reinstallation.

Be sure the vent hoods flapper door moves freely and there is no kinks or sharp bends in the plastic venting tubing when the machine is moved back into it's replaced location.

YES! Dryers are the number one appliance which often cause house fires. The main reason is the accumulated lint inside the cabinet and venting system. Lint is lite and airy making it extremely flammable. Cleaning out lint drastically reduces the chances of a fire within the cabinet, etc.

You could not have asked a better person to "elaborate" on the subject. I think I have done so once again... In most cases I think I am the "King" of too many words....

Than again, offering all the needed advice in one reply reduces the number of additional questions and replies...

In case you do have additional questions, please use the reply button to update your question. Doing so keeps the entire thread together for easy reading and following along.

Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Regards & Good Luck. TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator.
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: