gas grill won't shut off

Old 08-13-03, 01:40 AM
maxmaximilan
Visiting Guest
gas grill won't shut off

I hope you can give me some ideas what might be going on.

When our gas grill gets too hot I am unable to turn it off without going to the gas bottle and turning it off there (I expect if I was on the mains it ould be even more inconvenient). No matter how I try by turning it, pressing it in etc... it will not turn off. Only after it has cooled down does it then go back to normal. I'm not sure just how hot it has to get because when the repair man came to look at it he could not replicate the problem (as always!) after apparently 10 minutes with the grill on. I don;t even know what sort it is except that the markings on the oven are "Chef Premier, Fan Forced". And I don;t have a manual or anything else.

I get the feeling it is a common problem with this oven, becuase other people on our compound with the same oven experience the same problem, but have been unable to find anything on the internet about it. If you can shed any light on this issue that woul be geat. I am in Samoa so I don;t have access to much in the way of professionals.

Old 08-13-03, 12:10 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
More Information Requested Please

Hello maxmaximilan and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances forum.

Be glad to help you Max. I too need a little help understanding what you mean by "grill."

Grill as in a flat hot plate used to make pan cakes or bacon can be cooked on?

Or does grill mean a bbq grill?

If it means bbq grill or flate plate grill for cooking either bacon or making pancakes, is the grill inside the house or outside?

You mention oven. Oven as is a cake baking oven?

I need to understand better whether the problem is an oven or grill. I am slightly confused. Please clearify for me. Thanks.

Please use the REPLY button to provide me with the additional helpful information. Using the replt button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host & Gas Appliances Topic Moderator. TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics and Technician Services.

Web site help links:
http://www.applianceaid.com/electric...ting_tips.html
http://www.applianceaid.com/gas.html#gas-help
http://www.repairclinic.com/

Old 08-16-03, 12:51 AM
maxmaximilan
Visiting Guest
clarification on "grill"

More than happy to elaborate for you mate.

By grill I mean the bit under the hotplates and above the oven. It has four gas hotplatres on the top. Underneath that is a thin area with a gas flame on top called the grill. And under that is a larger area with a gas oven for roasts and cakes.

On the grill we do things like sausages, bacon and even toast.

So when this grill gets really hot I can't turn it off at the dial. I have to turn it off at the gas bottle. When it cools down it turns on/off fine. When it is hot the dial doesn't seem to feel right either. I'm guessing that something expands due to the heat which effects the ability to turn it off.

I tried doing a search hoping to find some sort of reference to this type of oven having a defect but came up with nothing.

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-17-03, 06:52 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Max

Thanks for the updated info. Helps plenty to clearify the description of the appliance, terms used and problem.

Problem with that to me is understanding how a mechanically operated valve to turn on and off the flow of gas to the burners can become to hot that turning it off does not function.

The gas valve is nothing more than a faucet valve, for the purpose of discussion & discription. The valve controls the volume of gas flow to the burner just like a water faucet controls water flow volume in a sink.

Using that discription, still being able to turn the knob yet not turn off the gas flow to the burner, somehow the logic of such escapes me.

To further described this, it would be like turning off the water faucet used on sinks, yet the water continues to flow.

Thinking...Humm. I must be missing something here....???? Some clue is often found within a problem description. Which is what I cannot find within all this or it could very well be that I am missing that clue.

Guessing. If it can be determined to be heat related, there must be or may be a flame/heat sensor or a part expanding from excessive heat when the burner is on for a long duration of time.

With those thoughts in mind, difficult to exactly determine what is or what could be or maybe the cause. Except as those mentioned above by guessing.

Based on that, it may be a good idea to inquire about the problem by contacting the manufacturer and the local appliance repair service dealers in your are.

Possible there is a problem with the appliance or a recall due to a part failure, the problem is unknown to the mfg or there is a problem with your specific appliance, it's installation and or assembly when it was built, etc.

Old 08-17-03, 04:03 PM
maxmaximilan
Visiting Guest
You have fairly covered all the problems I have encountered.

I too thought that it must be some manufacture error but A) can't determine who made the appliance due to lack of markings and not having a manual, and B) the people who installed it don;t have much of an idea on what the problem is either.

You also guess right in that it is simply some sort of a valve that due to heat stops functioning as it should. I didn't consider a heat sensor thingy but assumed that it must be some part of the valve bit that expands to a point that it won't turn off.

Thank you for your help in reassuring me that I can do only so much with this problem. Also thank you for being prompt and helpful in your responses. Also thank you for a site that works. I guess we can consider this case closed.

Old 08-18-03, 04:44 AM
Admin Emeritus
Max

Let's not close this discussion. Since we are getting closer to determining a possible cause, if it is safely possible without burning yourself, when the conditions occurs, touch the valve.

Valve, means the gas flow valve under the knob. It should not be hot to the touch. If the valve is hot so will the burner tube.

Burner tube means the venturi which allows the gas to flow to the burner head where the flames are. If either or both are hot to the touch, heat from the burner is being transferred back to the gas valve.

If this is the case, look for a missing gasket between the burner head {burner head where the flames are suppose to be} and the burner tube or gaskets that may be missing on one but not on the other burners.

This condition of a missing gasket can happen during assembly at the factory and apply to one or two burners but not the others. The missing gasket may be allowing burner flames to be burning under the top cover of the stove top transferring heat back.

In essence, what you are looking for is heat where none should be. Also, if the condition applies to only one burner and not to all burners, changing the effected burner gas valve may correct the condition.

The most likely reason why installers, dealers and over the counter parts sales persons are unable to provide possible reasons for the problem is they are not there in person to see the problem.

Thye also may or are not taking into account any possible errors made during final assembly at the factory. They may simply be assuming all parts are installed and the appliance is an exact duplicate cookie cutter version of all the rest.

Such may not be the actual case. Therefore, inspecting/looking closely at each part/assembly may reveal one of something like a burner etc does not match the other exactly.

Something different between two similar parts/assemblies could be a missing a tiny piece like a simple gasket, screw etc or something is being over looked and assumed to be there but is not.

Sometimes it does pay to think outside the corperation box....

Old 08-19-03, 02:11 AM
maxmaximilan
Visiting Guest
Sharp Advice,

Thanks for not giving up on me. I will try out your advice in the near future and report back with my results.

Regards,

Max.

Old 10-12-03, 02:34 AM
maxmaximilan
Visiting Guest
Long time, no response. Suffice to say a "man" came round from BOC gas with a little more of an idea and fixed our leaking gas grill. I think in the end all it needed was a new knob! I suspect that the old knob did not fit the groove properly and when it became hot swivelled out of place more easily. Anyway it works now. Thanks for your help and replies. What worried me is we came home from a night out and found the house stinking of gas and wondered what the baby sitter might have done! Oh well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: