Gas Smell When Stove is Lighting

Old 08-22-03, 07:48 AM
Jeff Placzek
Visiting Guest
Gas Smell When Stove is Lighting

We have a gas oven.

It is the type with the electronic clicky ignitors for the burners, and a heated coil to light the flame inside the oven.

Whenever we turn the oven on, it smells VERY strong of gas sometimes, other times hardly at all. It takes several minutes for the flame in the oven to appear once turned on.

I have watched to see what actually goes on in there when it is turned to on. The coil turns orange immediately, and after about 3 minutes at TINY amount of flame TRIES to appear along each side of the long "burner bar" in the bottom of the oven. It generally has only a tiny amount of flame along parts of the bar and it constantly flickers out....

Then the "real flame" kicks in ... a larger flame that, for the most part, stays lit completely along both sides as it should... and the oven heats as normal.

It seems, though, that after the gas smell disipates, if we are cooking for any length of time, the gas smell returns once in a while throughout the cooking session. (Maybe when it reaches the target temp, the flames is to turn of or dwindle and then return when it cools a little-- in order to keep a constant temp?)

One other odd detail. We had this stove disconnected for some time (It has always had the gas smell problem).... When we had it hooked up again, the very first time we used it there was NO gas smell at all... seemed like a miracle.... But, unfortunately, it has returned...

The problem seems like this:
FOr some reason the initial smaller flame that starts along the bar is not able to sstay lit like it should, so when the BIG gas comes through, portions of the bar are not lit and force raw gas into the air until that portion of the bar finally catches the flame.
Then, as it tries to maintain it's target temp, the same situation occurs each time it "relights".

Is it a matter of the "burner bar" needing to be cleaned somehow. Those little holes need to be cleaned out?

Or is it something else?

HELP... my wife is going nutso wanting to cook. (Me, I'm o.k.... I just head out to the grill...)

Old 08-22-03, 01:23 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Jeff. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum.

Based on your well described problem description, chances are the hot surface ignitor is weak. A hot glowing surface ignitor, working correctly, will glow an intense bright yellow orange in color. Any reddish color or a dull orange color indicates the glow coil is weak.

Replacement of the hot surface glow ignitor {HSI} usually solves the problem. It is also a common practice to replace the gas valve at the same time the HSI is replaced. However, this isn't always needed when done as a do-it-yourself project. HST and gas valve replacement as a set is often done by appliance service persons.

Be sure to unplug the appliance from the electrical power first.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers.

Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Appliance parts dealers sell replacement parts for all appliances. They are listed in the phone book under appliances.

For more detailed information, read the recent postings within this forum pertaining to ovens. The questions already asked describe like or similarly related problem descriptions as your question.

These prior postings and any or all the replies offered within them contain almost all the required information needed with an ovens ignition system like your describing.

Web Site Help Link:
http://www.repairclinic.com

Regards & Good Luck. Forums Admin & Multiple Topic Moderator.
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.
Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: