Natural Gas

Old 11-22-99, 03:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I have a natural gas well on my land. It is tapped off. How do I remove the moisture from the gas and regulate the pressure prior to it coming into my home ? Also where can I find info on how to run the gas line to my home ? It (the well)is about 1/4 mile away down in the valley. Is there a way I can add the "smell" to it ? It has no smell now and for safety reasons I would like to know if ever there was a leak in the house. Can I convert a propane refrigator to natural gas ? These are the types of questions I have. I thank you for any info on these or similar notes.
Old 11-22-99, 03:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Mercaptan is what they use to give natural gas an odor. Yes, you should be able to convert your refrigerator to natural gas; it's just a matter of changing orfice sizes. As far as the rest of it goes, contact a propane supplier or natural gas utility for further assistance.
Old 12-11-99, 11:36 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Hello Lenny:

You already have some good advice posted here regarding your appliance. However, I would like to add my two cents.

Whenever you convert ANY appliance from one type of fuel to another, you must also convert the appliance regulator.

All newer appliances have a convertable regulator. The switch over on these is simple for a repair person.

What you need to know, is this a convertable regulator? If the refrigerator is old and I have to assume here your speaking about a house refrigerator, since you didn't mention the type < most are because I doubt there are any new gas full size refrigerators made> then the answer regarding the appliance regulator being convertable is NO.

If it's a gas model from a newer camper, it may be convertable. If so, the regulator cap on the tower must be turned over to change it from propane to nat gas.

Another word on converting ANY propane appliance to natural gas. There is an exact drill size that must be used to drill the orfice out. A drill size even one size too large will cause the burner to be overgassed <To large a flame> which will cause the flames to smother <not burn completely> causing odor and soot.

In regards to your capped gas well, please take my advice here, for your own safety and those anywheres around that area, leave the dam thing alone. That capped well may just have pressures far beyond your control!

If your concerned about it, call your local natural gas utility or any major oil company. You may be glad you did!

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 11-13-04 at 07:21 AM.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: