Oven wont light

Old 09-01-03, 10:04 AM
Andy Mac
Visiting Guest
Oven wont light

The oven on my White model #wgf325bawb will not light so far I have taken out the ignitor and tested it with a ohm meter and it seems to carry thru. I have 120 volts coming out of the side of the oven ( ignitor module?) when I turn on the knob I am guessing that the thermostat is located in the center of the oven on the bottom and that maybe that could be the problem any ideas and help would be great Thanks

Old 09-02-03, 08:48 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Question More Detailed Info Requested

Hello Andy and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances forum.

What will not light? The glow ignitor or the burner?
Thermostat is not at the bottom. It's on the front or top panel. The thermostat is the temp knob that you turn to turn on the oven and set the temperature.

Even if the current will pass thru the hot surface glowing ignitor, that does not indicate it is working properly. If the glow bar ignitor is glowing and the burner fails to light, most likely the glowing hot surface ignitor is too weak to provide enough of an ignition source. That being the most likely problem cause, replacing the glow ignitor will resolve the problem.

A hot glowing surface ignitor, working correctly, will glow an intense bright yellow orange in color. Any reddish color or a dull orange color indicates the glow coil is weak.

If the ignitor fails to glow at all and all other selections and optional selections on the control panel are set correctly, the coil will need to be replaced with a new part. Replacing it should solve the problem.

Ovens with touch pad controls use electronic computerized circuit boards. The entire circuit board could be removed and taken to the local appliance parts dealer for testing and or replacement.

Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

For more detailed information etc. read the recent postings within this forum. The questions already asked describe like or similarly related problem descriptions as your question.

These prior postings and all the replies offered within them contain almost all the required information needed to the many possible problems with an ovens hot surface ignition system.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers.

Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Dealers can also perform tests on parts and stock replacement parts for all appliances. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

If you need further assistance use the REPLY button. Doing so moves the topic back up to the top of the daily list automatically.

http://www.repairclinic.com/

Regards & Good Luck.
Sharp Advice. Gas Appliances Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics and Technician Services.

Old 09-08-03, 05:55 PM
Andy Mac
Visiting Guest
I removed the ignitor from the oven and applied 120volts to it and it lit up bright red so I think it is working. I dont have a circuit board on the oven that I can find just the knob on the front that goes to the thermostat under the top. Any suggestions on my next step? Could it still be the ignitor even if it lights bright red?
Thanks Andy

Old 09-08-03, 09:25 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Andy

As noted below, the ignitor is the most likely part to cause the problem. Replace it first and note the results. Chances are the ignitor is too weak even though it appears to be glowing.

If the glow bar ignitor is glowing and the burner fails to light, most likely the glowing hot surface ignitor is too weak to provide enough of an ignition source. That being the most likely problem cause, replacing the glow ignitor will resolve the problem.

A hot glowing surface ignitor, working correctly, will glow an intense bright yellow orange in color. Any reddish color or a dull orange color indicates the glow coil is weak.

Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Appliance parts dealers sell replacement parts for all appliances. They are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Dealers can perform tests and stock replacement parts for all appliances. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Regards & Good Luck. Forums Admin & Multiple Topic Moderator.
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: