Red stains in Tub, Need New Water heater?

Old 10-10-03, 02:18 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Red stains in Tub, Need New Water heater?

I have a 9 year old water heater. I've noticed lately some slightly red stains in the shower. Is this rust from the hot water heater?
Does this mean that the hot water heater is going to start leaking soon and needs to be replaced?

Thanks.

Old 10-10-03, 08:03 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: bplinder. Welcome to my Gas Appliance Forum.

Rusty water can be caused by more than just an old water heater. If the piping system is not a copper piping system, the pipes could also be all or part of the problem.

I am not a plumber, so I cannot offer you too much info in the area of water piping systems. But I can suggest and do recommend flushing the tank. Doing so may help to reduce the rust sediment in the tank, if that is the actual source.

The flushing instructions are at the topic of my forums list of questions. Water heater flushing instructions are contained within it.

Follow them and also note the color and any contents in the water as it comes out of the tank. The water might contain rust particles, scales, sediment and other debris flushed from off the bottom of the tank.

Allow the water flow freely for about 2-3 minutes. At whcih time it should be clear and not rusty colored. If the water does not clearup after 5 minutes, the tank is most likely badly rusted internally.

Water tank replacement is the only option to totally resolve the condition and the problem. If the water piping system is iron or galvanized pipes, the only solution is to repipe with copper.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Web Site Host, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 10-13-03, 07:34 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks for the reply. I will try flushing out the tank and see what happens. I'll report back hopefully in the next week with the results.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: