Oven Electrical Problem

Old 10-13-03, 03:34 PM
filtersweep
Visiting Guest
Wall Plug Ground Fault Trips when Over Turned On.

My gas oven keeps tripping the ground fault at the wall whenever I turn it on. Even more annoying is that it will work some times, and for random lengths of time, then crap out again.

I've torn it open and nothing looks out of whack. The igniter is < one year old and I've replaced the control wire from the knob to the igniter, which was looking a little crispy and burnt. I've also ruled out the wall socket malfunctioning. Burner sparks just fine. It's only the oven that makes it trip.

I'm thinking it might be the power cable, which the oven was pushing against for as long as I can tell. It looks bent and stressed where the wire meets the plug.

I'll probably try replacing the cord tonight, but after that I'm stumped. Any ideas what I can try next? Is it time to call a real repairman?

My thanks in advance.

Old 10-13-03, 08:33 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello filtersweep and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

Based on the problem description, it is very likely to be a woring problem. Most likely in the power cord if there is evidence of prior damage. The wire strands in the power cord may be shorting out.

Change the power cord. Use a correctly electrical rated cord and connect it exactly as the existing cords is connected. Near the end that connects to the oven, look for a terminal block to connect the wires to.

Check it closely. Heat may have caused the terminal block to become dried out and be shorting out. Also look for a fuse box or fuse holder. Check it closely too. If there is any doubts to any parts condition, replace them.

Be adivised that if there is a fuse, it is a specially rated fuse. These are only available at appliance part stores. Same applies to terminal blocks, fuse holders, etc. They are not the same as those used in autos, etc.

Be sure to unplug the appliance from the electrical power first.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers.

Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Appliance parts dealers sell replacement parts for all appliances. They are listed in the phone book under appliances.

If you need further assistance use the REPLY button. Doing so moves the topic back up to the top of the daily list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Web Site Host, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 10-13-03, 09:20 PM
filtersweep
Visiting Guest
Thanks Sharp, both for the nice welcome and the good advice. They're both appreciated.

Old 10-17-03, 01:55 PM
filtersweep
Visiting Guest
follow-up

So I tried changing the fuse and the cord, to no avail. So today I called a repairman, who came out and tried it in a different recepticle without a GFI. It didn't trip the circuit breaker, so he advised me to simply replace the GFI with a standard, 3-prong socket. He claims the GFI prbably can't handle the load coming from the igniter.

Does this sound right to anyone? Again, thanks in advance.

Old 10-17-03, 02:42 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: filtersweep

I am not an eletrican but have heard that when a GFI gets old or a sudden high demand is placed on them, they can shut down. In the industry this is not too often a commonly found problem.

I would suggest you replace the GFI with a new one and or replace it with a standard 3 wire wall recepticule, as advised.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: