Oven Ignition Problem

Old 10-13-03, 06:15 PM
BobCrane
Visiting Guest
Question Gas Oven Not Lighting with Mixed Results

Our gas oven has begun to act a bit goofy.

At first, when you turned it on, the ignitor would glow but never light. If you turned it off then on a few times it would kick on.

Then it changed. Sometimes the ignitor would glo and not kick on. Other times the ignitor would not come on but the kitchen would fill with gas (good times). It never sent gas out full force, just enough that you could smell it after about 5 mins.

We figured out setting the oven above 400 would cause it to light every time.

Now it doesn't light at all. It more consistently causes the ignitor to glow but once in a while just spews gas.

I've seen other posts concerning replacing the ignitor but with our other symptoms I did not want to jump right at this.

Old 10-13-03, 08:59 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Bob Crane

In cases such as the one you are describing, replacing the ignitor often solves the problem. A weak ignitor can cause this problem.

As well as a defective gas valve. Usually the two are replaced in sets. But not always. Some times just the ignitor solves the problem.

Reading the existing topics on ovens, should have provided you with much of the info needed. Be sure to unplug the appliance before attempt any repairs.

The local appliance parts store will have the replacement ignitor. Read the existing questions and the replies I posted to obtain the rest of the info. Glad you have read some of them already.

The other symptoms are just that. Symptoms of a weak ignitor and possible gas valve. Replace that ignitor and note the results.

If you need more help after that, reply back to this thread and I can help you further, if needed. Chance are you will reply back that the problem is resolved.....

Old 12-01-03, 10:11 PM
rightoo
Visiting Guest
Hi Sa,

I have read many or all of the oven won't light threads and have one questions.

Is there a way to tell if it is the ignitor OR the valve? i know with your experience you can tell if the glow is not bright enough, but with a novice its hard to tell.

Thanks

Old 12-02-03, 04:29 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: rightoo

There are several ways to test. But I cannot assume members have a tester, know how to test the parts, every value for each part nor do I think it is needed or worth while in a text only format such as this.

Plus there is the electrical safety aspect when dealing with house current, etc. Often times the part has to be removed for testing. If that is the case and the hot surface glow ignitor is about 3-5 or more years old, might as well replace, it while it is out.

For either the glow ignitor or the gas valve, it is usually best to test resistance values. However, even this type of testing is not done often by techs. There are several conditions which are easier to describe in text (typed) words only.

Glow ignitor color is one. Time between turning on the T-Stat and burner igniton is another. Problem description explained correctly will have the most common symtoms included in the description which are the clues needed to determine the most likely causes.

Based on all the above and your statement, it is hard to tell, which is correct, appearance, ignitor color & part ages, are the best guides and the easiest methods using typed only words.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: