gas vs electric

Old 10-23-03, 07:59 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question gas vs electric

Right now we have an electric oven/range. I would like to replace it with a gas unit. Is it just a matter of running a gas line from the meter to the kitchen (about 20') or are there other considerations, like special venting? What are the pros and cons of gas over electric? We would let the professionals handle this.

Old 10-23-03, 01:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
A gas stove also needs a 120V electrical connection as opposed to the 240V connection on an electrical stove. There are several ways to provide this and it probably isn't a big problem. There are no other special requirments (no special venting...).

Personally (IMHO), I like a gas stove top and an electric oven. A gas burner is somewhat faster and instantly adjustable. A gas oven cooks the same, but seems to heat up the kitchen more than an electric one. We designed our kitchen with separate components to accomplish this and my wife was skeptical at first. She now loves the setup.

Others obviously share my opinion, because several manufacturers are now selling "dual fuel" ranges that have an electric oven with a gas stove top. Might be worth looking into and would solve the 240V 120V issue. You would run a gas line, probably from the main meter (in some cases there is a gas hub in a central part of the house - attic or basement, where all connections have to run from - can't run directly from meter) and plug into the same electric plug that your old stove plugs into.

Good luck!

Doug M

Old 10-23-03, 07:01 PM
R
Dual gas/electric ranges came into existence because consumers wanted a self cleaning oven, but wanted gas burners.

For many years the technology to get a gas oven hot enough to self clean was expensive, took a lot of space, and used a lot of gas.

This is no longer the case, gas ovens can be configured for self cleaning at minimal cost , so now it is a matter of personal preference, not missing features.

Old 10-23-03, 08:10 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: erica

The advice provided thus far is very good. Thanks racraft & Doug.

The possible special considererations would be plumbing the gas piping to meet codes and the 120 volt electrical needs. I would suggest having both of those projects done professionally.

Unless you are highly confident both projects can be done to meet codes. Always keeping safety concerns in mind. Be aware that some home owner policies will not extend coverages for property damages if the changes are not done to codes.

Also be aware of all the safety issues involved. Especially personal injuries when dealing with gas and/or electricity. Having professionals do these types of jobs insures safety & peace of mind.

Old 10-23-03, 10:03 PM
You should need a 120V electrical line if you buy a totally gas powered oven/range. However, you will need an outlet (most likely 240V) if your unit will have an electric oven.

Another very important consideration is whether the existing gas piping is adequately sized to support this additional appliance. You will need to get whoever is doing the installation to perform these calculations. Make sure they are qualified to do this since it is simply not a case of adding the gas line. Iíve added appliances and modified gas lines at my house and have done this before. If you want to get a feel for what this is about see the attached thread below where I told someone else what to do.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=147493

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: