Venting system for Dryer

Old 11-01-03, 11:00 AM
seanseaston
Visiting Guest
Venting system for Dryer

I am moving my dryer to a interior room. To run the vent outdoors requires a 9ft vertical and 11ft horizontal run with two elbow joints.

Is this practical?
Will it cause problems to have such a long run, and are there any tricks to make this work better?

Thanks

Old 11-01-03, 07:10 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello seanseaston and Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

The vertical run will collect the most lint since the lint is damp and heavy. Dryers do not have powerful blower fans, therefore the heavy moistened lint will collect at the lower points in the run and also at the elbows.

The idea is to take that into consideration during assembly of the venting system. Also consider the need for inspecting & cleaning the venting system yearly. Not every two years as recommended.

The entire length is not too excessively long. Long runs of venting are not as efficient since the blower fans are not powerful. I do not suspect you will have problems with the run setup. As long as there is a clean and clear of lint vent tubing & the outside vent hood is functioning correctly.

I suggest using all new parts to construct the venting system. Check with the local hardware stores for the approved type of venting material. Some codes in some ares require metal ducting while other areas plastic ducting is okay.

Plastic ducting is easiest to work with, lower in cost and can be easily & cheaply replaced every two years. In most areas plastic ducting is legal.

Plastic ducting may not be recommended by the manufacturer. However, I have never known of any problems with flex plastic ducting as long as it is replaced at two year intervals during normal routine maintenance.

Vent Length Chart:
http://www.applianceaid.com/vent-length.html

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask additional questions. Doing so will automatically move your question to the top of the forums list of questions.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Web Site Host, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 11-02-03, 08:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You will need to consult the installation manual for your dryer to find out the maximum length allowed for the dryer vent. When calculating length it is common practice to add 5ft for every 90 degree elbow so the effective length of your vent will be 30 ft. If the manual indicates a shorter max length then the installation will not be possible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: