Dryer Pilot Problem

Old 11-19-03, 07:00 PM
mmsaunders02
Visiting Guest
gas dryer pilot light

I've got a very old Maytag gas dryer that was in my house when I bought it. It's worked fine for the past 2 years, but the pilot light just went out.

I don't have any instructions for the dryer and I don't want to try and relight it without a little advice. I know very little about gas appliances.

Where the gas pipe comes in inside the dryer, there's a switch in the line. Right now it's parallel with the gas line. On the other side of the switch (180 degrees), there is an "L" indicated on the brass gas fitting. Is this the position the switch should be in to light the pilot light?

I don't want to try it without knowing a little about it first.

The model is a:

Maytag DG410
Series 1

Thanks-
Matt

Old 11-19-03, 08:11 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Greetings Matt. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum.

The older Maytag dryers had a constant burning pilot flame. Should be located to the left side of the gas valve and will be down low in a caged type area.

That cage or cover around the flame or the place where the pilot flame will be located accumulates dust and lint. Blowing that area out, using a can of pressurized air used to clean computer keyboards, will blow out the dust and lint.

Once that is done, you will see a red lever handle on the gas valve. That handle may be on the front of the gas valve or on the right hand side. Does not matter which side or where it is located.

The important point is that level has to be moved either forwards in a downwards motion or sideways, left to right or right to left depending upon the gas valves design. There where various designs but the all functioned the same way.

Once you locate and move that lever on the gas valve, light the pilot flame and hold the red lever down for at least 60 seconds after lighting the pilot flame.

Once that is accomplished, slowly allow the red lever to return to it's resting place as you found it. The pilot flame should remain lit. Often times the lint or dust that accumulates in the pilot area snuffs out the pilot.

Cleaning out the lint or dust resolves the problem. But not always. In some cases the safety element is too weak to allow the polit flame to even remain on after returning the red lever to it's resting place. Or the pilot once again goes out.

In either of these cases, I highly recommend you only remove the entire gas valve assembly and take it to a local appliance parts store.

There at the store the counter person can install a new fluid safety element and inspect the safety to be sure it is working as intended. Replacing that type of safety element on that type of gas valve is not a suggested do it yourself project I would recommend to an inexperienced person.

Best to allow a professional do that part of this repair. But you can turn off the valve on the gas supply feed line to the gas valve.

That would be the shut off valve on the 1/2 iron pipe you mentioned as being parallel with the gas line. Turning that valve across the iron gas supply line would shut off the gas to the dryers gas valve.

The nut that attaches the pipe to the burners inlet pipe turns opposite the normal way a common nut turns to loosen it. Turn it clockwise to loosen and counter clockwise to tighten it.

The burner will be attached to the bottom of the dryer with 3 or 4 tiny sheet metal screws. Remove them, disconnect the wires from the gas valve and remove the entire gas valve assembly from within the cabinet carefully.

Take note of exactly how the valve is currently installed, how you remove the assembly. That reverse the entire procedure to reinstall the assembly after the repairs.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers.

Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks whenever a repair includes any connection of a gas part.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask additional questions. Doing so will automatically move your question to the top of the forums list of questions.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Web Site Host, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always adviseable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance, connection and or repairs.

Old 01-03-08, 05:53 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Maytag Gas Dryer DG410

Nope, this dryer does not have a standing pilot. It ignites at the time the on button is pushed.
I am having problems with mine - was in my home when I bought it - the flame does not ignite when I turn the dryer on.
Could I get some help on what might need replaced.

Thanks
Teresa

Old 01-04-08, 06:23 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi teresa:

Your dryer has a glow bar ignitor that heats up,glows, and then it in turn ignites the gas. The most common failure is the glow bar dies. Look here for a prst breakdown:

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/pa...model_id=27719

If the glow bar is not heating up, check to see if it is getting voltage or, alternatively, check the glow bar for continuity. Let us know how you make out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: