Yellow flame on cooktop

Old 12-01-03, 05:21 PM
bmw4re
Visiting Guest
Yellow flame on cooktop

Greetings,
On T-giving day my gas cooktop started exhibiting a predominantly yellow flame. It's my understanding that this has to do with air/fuel mixtures. The problem is that the cooktop doesn't seem to have any obviously serviceable parts that would correct the imbalance. The top does not seem to be "liftable". It is a Thermador cooktop, model SGN36G and was made in approximately 1996. I have never been thrilled with the cooktop itself therefore if I can't fix it, I'm going to nix it. Any help with accessing a mixture adjustment screw etc. is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Brian W.

Old 12-01-03, 06:19 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Brian W. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Sealed top burners are not easy to access. But often it is possible if one knows exactly how to do so. This must be your lucky day.

Help is right there in your area. One phone call away...

Look on the back of your gas bill. If you are a customer of the gas company, simply place a call and request serivce. The problem description is yellow top burner flames.

Very likely the problem was caused by a spill over. Which is usually easy to clear out the left behind residue. Not too often does a spill over manage to get down to the air shutter area but it can happen.

Sometimes there is a need to clear a restriction inside the burner tube and or orifice. Once the air flow restriction is cleared out, the yellow will be gone.

Pick up the phone, place the service call. It's "FREE."
Glad to be of service....

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice. TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 12-01-03, 08:09 PM
bmw4re
Visiting Guest
Greetings Sharp A:
Thanks for the tip. I am a So. Cal. Gas Co. customer so I'll give them a jingle.
My wife insists that there were no spills on Thanksgiving. We'll see when the gas company gets here and checks it out. I'll make sure that I'm here so that I can see how he opens up this puppy. Thanks again.
Brian W.

Old 12-01-03, 08:39 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hi: Brian

Yes. You are in the service area.

Next Tip:
Watch the service person and learn....

First Hint:
Listen to the lady of the house but say nothing.

Second Hint:
The lady of the house is always right...LOL!...

Third Hint:
Many years of marriage myself, I learned something...haha.

Old 12-05-03, 10:41 AM
bmw4re
Visiting Guest
I guess my stovetop got the message. Somehow it reacted like a person going to the Doctor; it started working perfectly the night before the serviceperson was scheduled to look at it. How the heck can this type of a problem be intermittent? It's all very strange. I'll repost if the problem should reappear and require service. Thanks for the help.
Brian w.

Old 12-06-03, 04:53 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hi: bmw4re

The message the appliance got was in the form of ESP. Sent directly via the service department to that appliance....LOL...

The message was:
"Self Correct The Problem Yourself or Face A Highly Qualified & Experienced Service Person." With a tool roll and an 'attitude' to fix the condition.

An order no appliance wants to defy...hahaha....

Glad To Be Of Service
Good Luck and Happy Holidays.

Sharp Advice

Old 01-20-04, 02:42 PM
bmw4re
Visiting Guest
Condition returns,serviceman doubts

Hi Sharp,
An update on my stove's intermittent condition. Since the first service cancellation the stove has acted up 2-3 times. By the time the Gas Co. showed up the problem corrected itself again. The Gas Co. man asked question about other appliances being on etc. but I couldn't answer him at the time. He left without doing anything.
Last week the flame went 50%+ yellow again. This time I checked the oven, which is a separate unit, and it too showed a predominantly yellow flame head. It really seems to me to be some sort of main valve problem or something. I haven't seen the flames in my water heater or furnace but I suspect they're going to show the same thing. Is it possible that this is a main system problem i.e. house regulator valve? I'm stumped. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Brian W.

Old 01-20-04, 04:01 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Again Brian

You asked if the condition can be related to the gas company equipement. Answer is yes. The prior service person should have inspected other appliances for evidence. Which may appear as soot traces in appliances with closed fireboxes. Appliances like water heaters.

Another service not done was a pressure test of the company equipment. The regualtors output pressure should have been taken and the meters flow test done.

Doing so would have ensured the meter is not sticking and the regulator is regulating pressure as it should. The water colume pressure out of the meter must be between 7 to 10 inches of water colume and not build higher during a flow.

A sticky meter is yet more difficult to determine but may be a potential problem or the cause of the problem. Sticky meter will drastically reduce gas volume causing yellow flames.

As would a regulator not able to maintain pressure during high times of demands. Which means several appliance on at the same time. Usually the furnace and water heater since both those appliances are high demand with high volume draw.

If the condition is isolated to the stove appliance, that appliance regualtor may be defective or the air vent hole restricted or blocked. In which case the service person may have been able to clear the air vent hole. Or at least ried to or I expected be done.

A restriction in gas flow caused by a bent or kined flex gasline from the supply pipe to the intake manifold of the stove can also cause the condition, as well as a restiction in the supply pipe.

All of which can be determined by company taught training, time, indepth inspections, testing and a desire to determine the case. Which must have been lacking prior.

Therefore, I suggest you call them back and have all the above tested and inspected. The intent is to accurately determine the cause and rule out company equipment as the direct cause.

Old 01-20-04, 09:21 PM
bmw4re
Visiting Guest
Thanks again for all of your help, Sharp. I'll call the gas company tomorrow and get them back out here. I actually took a couple of digital pictures of both the stove flame and the oven flame taken within minutes of each other. While the flame actually looked more yellow in person it does show up somewhat in the pic's.
REgards,
Brian W.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: