Gas Oven not working! Stove and broiler work!

Old 12-03-03, 11:30 AM
BenandJacksMom
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Gas Oven not working! Stove and broiler work!

Hello
My GE oven is about 5 years old and it just stopped working! The stove works, the broiler works but no oven. We ordered an ignitor (someone told us that was probably it-$80 later!). My husband installed it-still doesn't work!!
Is this a simple fix or do I need to spend another $250 for someone to come an fix it?? (We just spent that on our 5 year old refrigerator) Okay any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Angela

Old 12-03-03, 12:39 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb

Hello Angela and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

The problem may not have been the cause of the problem intially. Depending upon what condition was present when the oven did not work and what prompted the part replacement.

If you could and would discribe what the condition was prior to replacing the ignitor, I should be able to determine what the cause of the real problem is.

If the ignitor failed to glow there are several possibilties. All of which are explained in full details in other oven questions asked in the forum topic. Reading those will more quickly provide you with all the information needed.

If the ignitor was glowing but doing so weakly, that is a condition which could be explained here and determined by you. This is also explianed in other oven questions already asked.

There should not be any need, or we suspect not, to spend money for labor to get the oven fixed by a service agent. All the labor needed is present, if hubby has already installed the new ignitor.

Check all the selections on the control panel to be sure each is set to manual, if there are optional selections on that model. The idea is to be sure we start with the obivous and the most likely causes before assuming parts are needed, etc.

Reminder:
Read as many of the other questions in this forum topic on the subject of ovens. Doing so will provide you with enough basic information to determine what the problem is and how to correct it.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice. TCB4U2B2B Business Management Services. Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 12-07-03, 05:12 PM
BenandJacksMom
Visiting Guest
Hi Sharp Advice,

I want to get more information from your quote "If the ignitor failed to glow there are several possibilties. All of which are explained in full details in other oven questions asked in the forum topic. Reading those will more quickly provide you with all the information needed." The ignitor isn't glowing, and I can't find any forums that talk about solving this issue. Could you please point me to the forum answering how to get the ignitor glowing?

Thank you.

Old 12-07-03, 07:29 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: BenandJacksMom

If you cannot find another oven topic with a like problem, the most likely reason is there hasn't been one recently enough. Which is a problem I can correct for you and all others.

Thanks for bring that to my attention....
About all the needed info I have is below and what comes to mind at this moment.

Hopefully before a "Senior Moment" sets in...

Be sure all the controls are set correctly. If there isn't any current flowing to the glow HSI, test for electrical continuity to and from the thermostat. Be sure to unplug the power first.

It's always possible there is another defective part or switch that is in line electrically between the thermostat and the HSI that is defective, incorrectly set, etc. Any of which may not be allowing current to flow through the entire circuit. You may also need to verify if there is electrical continuity through the wiring system.

Check the control panel for proper settings. Be sure the clock is set correctly and the selector is set to manual and not in a timed bake selection.

Each wire should be checked through it's entire length. Check each electrical connection, terminal and junction connection. Also check for loose wires between the glow coil, gas valve and every switch.

Replace any inline fuse found in a fuse holder. Some ovens use a fuse between the inlet power, the gas valve and ignitor. Look for one. Not all ovens have a fuse.

The fuses element may visually appear to be unbroken but electrically not functioning internally. The fuse is generally located at the end of the electrical power cord close to the oven burner gas valve.

If the fuse looks okay, no burnt element internally, it may still be defective. Check it with a continuity checker. Also the fuse holder.

There is always to possibility the temp selection control, {thermostat} is defective. The temp control uses internal contact points to make the electrical connections to other componets, etc.

The thermostat not only controls temp but also activates the switch that sends current to the hot surface ignitor and gas valve. The T-Stats oven contacts may be defective.

Which means you will need to do a continuity check on the T-Stat and it's componets to verify if they are working as they should be.

Dealers can perform tests on parts which are suspected to be the problem. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book.

Good Luck. Sharp Advice. TCB4U2B2B Business Management Services. Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: