Oven pilot not getting gas

Old 12-10-03, 11:35 AM
wishstar
Visiting Guest
Oven pilot not getting gas

This is a very old wedgewood 4 burner/oven drop in, in a very old mobile home. The top burners are working fine. I opened the top and can see that the gas goes to the burners first and then on the oven connection there are two gas lines coming out. The first is the oven pilot line and the last is the oven line. I'm getting gas to the last larger oven line but nothing out of the pilot line. Nothing is plugging it as far as I can see in so I guess its plugged inside the box thingy. Can this be cleaned out or are there valves built into this thing? Theres also the thermostat wire that goes into this too. Prior to it stopping to work, it had a delayed start. No electronix to this oven. I'm guessing that its plugged inside somehow but I'm getting gas to the line that is past that one. I guess I'm just wondering what's inside the box shaped thing that all the oven lines come out of and can it be taken off and cleaned out. Thanks, Jill

Old 12-10-03, 03:39 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Jill. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

I am familar with the brand of appliance and actually enjoy working with them as well as members who want to attempt to fix them. So we can have a good session of communications.

But first I need need your help. Check all the control panel settings to be sure all are set to manual. Be sure the appliance has electrical current to it by checking the light inside the oven.

The light must turn on to check for current. If there is an electrical cord from the appliance that plugs into a wall socket, let me know and if there is one also check for current at the wall plug.

Especially if the oven light does not work and the appliance has a cord. I must know these things first. Most but not all of the appliances built in that year time span had electrical oven safety devices. If the is not current to the appliance, the oven will not work.

Next item to check, is the smaller line which supplies gas to the pilot. I need to know where it is supplied from. either from the thermostat or the manifold pipe under the top.

There will be a black gas supply line (pipe) that supplies gas to the top burners. From that pipe a small aluminum tube which will supply gas to the oven pilot either directly or to the thermostat or the gas valve or to a safety device that has a RED push button on it. Let me know which of these types applies.

Use the reply button to continue this post. Doing so allows all our communication exchanges to be in this post. I will help you further when you reply back with the info I need.

I do not recommend you attempt repairs until later. Be advised that should the appliance you have, may have an electric safety device. If so, electrical current is likely to be used in whatever that box part is you mentioned is. Danger of electrical shock is present. Be careful!

Sharp Advice. TCB4U2B2B Business Management Services. Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 12-10-03, 09:41 PM
wishstar
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your fast reply... This stove has NO electrical. It is about 40-50 years old I believe. It has a gas manafold under the top. The gas line comes in to the manafold on the left and goes out to 4 burners, then the pilot line and oven line are last. There is a thermostat line that goes in the part where the pilot line goes out. The larger oven gas line is the last on the manafold and has gas, the pilot line before it doesn't. They both come out of the same box like section of the manafold. Getting parts for this thing will be impossible so if there's a way to fix it, I need to try. Thanks again, Jill

Old 12-11-03, 05:45 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hi Jill

Very good. We are making progress. Now that I know there isn't any electric to the stove, the oven safety device is not electircally operated. Which means the oven burner safety device is a fluid safety or the oven has to no safety.

When the oven worked, did you have to use a match to light it the first time? >>>Yes or No?>>Yes or No?>>Yes>>Yes? or No?>>Yes or No

Old 12-11-03, 08:17 AM
wishstar
Visiting Guest
Pilot was always on. Without the pilot, the oven does not light at all.

Old 12-11-03, 10:50 AM
Admin Emeritus
Making some progess. If there is or was a constant burning pilot flame, use a can of compressed air to blow out the entire pilot assembly.

The canned compressed or pressurized air used to clean computer keyboards works fine, in most cases. Lint and dust often clogs up the pilot assembly or the orifice.

There will be two air intake holes just behind or near the tubing nut on the pilot gas supply tube or somewhere on the pilot assembly. Air has to also be used in those holes to blow out any restriction which may cause the gas flow to be restricted.

Once that is done, attempt to relight the pilot. Be sure the gas is on to that pilot too. If that is possible. We can or have to assume it is on at this point. Advise what the results are after doing this procedure.

Old 12-11-03, 12:33 PM
wishstar
Visiting Guest
That end of the pilot is fine. The gas does not come out of the manafold. It comes out of all the other lines even the one after it. The problem is in the manafold I assume. With the pilot line unhooked from the manafold and the knob turned to pilot, no gas comes out.

Old 12-11-03, 02:56 PM
Admin Emeritus
Jill

Help me help you.

What knob are you turning? On what part? The thermostat knob? Thermostat dial where the temperature is set??

Or is there another part with a knob???

A part that is a lever or knob that only turns on the pilot?

Each model operated slightly differently. Each of the examples above can be found on each different model. I need to know which is on the appliance.

Explain in more details. One or two sentences without in depth details is not sufficient for me to locate any clues in the replies from which I can make better determinations which model you have and how the oven acutally operates.

The manifold supplies gas to the top burners. Therefore, there is gas in it at all times. If the top burners work, the part you are referring to as a manifold is not the same one as I am referring to.

Old 12-11-03, 03:07 PM
wishstar
Visiting Guest
The knob is the oven knob on front of the stove. It says pilot, then oven temps(150-500), then broil on it. Ths manafold has the 4 burners AND the pilot and oven lines coming out of it. Gas is coming out of the manafold to all lines except the pilot line. I'm not getting gas to that line for some reason.

Last edited by wishstar; 12-11-03 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-11-03, 05:44 PM
Admin Emeritus
Getting there fast now. Thanks for the additional info. The knob is the thermostat knob where the temperature is set.

Based on what you told me, the pilot tube and the burner tube, both aluminum, one larger than the other, both come out of the thermostat. The thermostat is the part the knob is attached to and the one you turn.

If that is so and the oven worked for you prior, chances are the thermostat, the part you mentioned was a box, is not allowing gas to come out of it.

If that is correct, two potential problems. The pilot is blocked in the pilot assembly or the thermostat is defective. If you know the pilot assembly is not restricted or blocked with debris, for sure, we can move on wards to the next step.

You will have to loosen the smaller aluminum tube coming out of the thermostat until you heard gas coming out of it. You will have to do this step carefully. There is little danger of explosion.

But there is danger if the tube pops out of the thermstat and if the top burner pilots are on. Blow out ALL burner pilots first. Be sure they are all out. Positively out and no doubts.

Then lossen that smaller tubes holding nut. It may be a 7/16 or a 3/8ths. An open ended wrench will do fine. Loosen the nut slowly and only enough to hear gas escaping.

DO NOT turn on the thermostat. Let it remain in the OFF position. Pilot gas should come out of that smaller aluminum tube. If it does, tighten up that nut again. Advise me what you find by doing these steps.

Than we can move on further & do so in the right directions. Less guess work for me and I can further walk you thru the others steps needed.

One small step at a time. We will get there together. Just be positive the pilots are ALL out. The smell of that small amount of gas coming from them and that which comes out of the small tube is nothing to be concerned with health wise. Trust me.

Old 12-11-03, 08:17 PM
wishstar
Visiting Guest
I have already done the above procedure prior to my first post,no gas is coming out of there with or without the knob being turned on. I can disconnect the tube completely and not get gas out of it. Thanks for your patience!

Old 12-11-03, 08:59 PM
Admin Emeritus
Very good Jill.

Moving along well here thanks to your efforts, ability to help me understand what your doing and what the results are and post back your progress.

Next item. Is there any other part between the thermostat and the pilot assembly? Follow the entire length of tubing from the thermsotat to the pilot assembly. If the answer is no. Nothing between the two parts, Not So Good.

That means no gas is coming out of the thermostat, which limits the problem possiblities. But not so good for potential problem.

If no gas is comming out of the T-Stat and no one adjusted anything or turned any screws behind the thermostats temperature adjustment knob, etc, only two possibilities left.

Update me on the other part or parts between the T-Stat and pilot assembly. Once I know the answer to that, we are almost done with the entire diagnostic procedures.

Patience?? Who Me? If I had patience I would be a doctor...LOL...haha...

Well, on second thought, maybe I do have patience. So I must be a "Gas Doctor?"...haha...

Actually, Iam not a doctor in any sense of the meaning. But I do like to help others and share what I know to help others....

Old 12-12-03, 07:35 AM
wishstar
Visiting Guest
Nothing between..no gas coming out. So what's up now Doc? lol

Old 12-12-03, 08:03 AM
Admin Emeritus
Good Morning Jill:

Here we are back again and doing very well I might add.

To Recap our progress thus far:

1)
We have confirmed there isn't any other parts between the T-Stat and the pilot assembly. Thus no other parts to take into consideration as part of the problem.

2)
We have also established the fact that no one made any adjustements to the thermostat.

Those adjustment screws behind the knob are for setting the pilots flame size and the minimum burner flame size while the oven is in between heating up (full burner flame size & minimum flame size) to maintain the set temperature.

With all that info known, verify that there isn't any adjustment screws on the ovens burner gas valve and or any wires attached to it.

The oven burner valve is the part (usually rectangular) and the tube extending from the burner sets on it. There will be only one aluminum gas supple tube going into it.

Advise me what you find looking carefully at this part.

BTW:
I'll be here waiting. But no hurry needed on your end. I shall be right here, lost in "Rock & Roll Heaven" listening to my favorite 50's & 60's music tunes, while working online...

Old 12-12-03, 09:31 AM
wishstar
Visiting Guest
no adjustment screws that I can see.

Old 12-12-03, 10:16 AM
Admin Emeritus
Okay. I'm back from R&R Heaven. At least for the time being.

Recapping:
No screws or wires on the oven burners gas valve.
No gas out of the thermostats small line to the pilot.
Not looking to good here...

If the thermostat is directly attached to the gas manifold at the top of the stove under the top lid and where the top burners are getting gas, than it is asfe to assume the T-Stat is hihgly suspected to be defective.

T-Stats are not repairable. Only a new replacement is possible. Which means you will need to turn off the gas to the entire appliance and replace the T-Stat.

To do so, turn off the gas to the entire appliance.
Remove all aluminum gas lines that are screwed into the T-Stat.
T-Stats in those days screwed into the black manifold pipe.

Using a water pump pliers (also know as a channel lock pliers) carefully open the jaws of the tool, grab onto the valves ends, turn the T-Stat counter clockwise.

TIP:
You want to watch for clearences on both sides of the wrench, so the tool does not bump into nor damage anything nearby. It may take several turns to loosen the T-Stat enough to continue turning it by hand.

Once the T-Sat is totally removed, take it with you & stop into any local appliance parts store. The stores are all listed in the phone book and or "Yellow Pages," as they are called here.

The parts store will note the brand, usually Robert Shaw or Honeywell, etc. Brand name is not of critical importance. The stores sale rep will know what brand & type is correct, if neither of those two are the ones.

Once you have the T-Stat in hand at home, reply back if you need any additional info. I doubt it but possible. The replacement will be brand new and have a complete instructional guide included.

Read it very carefully prior to installing the new part. Attached to the T-Stat is the temperature sensing element. It will have to be removed for the old T-Stat to come out.

The new T-Stat's temp sesing element must be installed per instructions and attached to the 2 clips which support it in the baking compartment.

TIP:
The new element cannot touch or come into contact with the inside sides or walls of the baking compartment. Only touch the clips which support it. Read the instructions, work slowly & carefully during this entire process of removing and reinstalling.

BTW:
No. T-Stats are non repairable and do not get rebuilt. Only new ones are available. Prices vary so I cannot be sure of them in your area. May range form $80.00 to $180.00 approz.

HINTS:
1)
Be sure to leak test all fittings or parts you turn, remove or have to access to complete the tasks. Leak soap is available at part stores.
2)
No pipe tape is needed nor pipe compounds, etc. On any threads. You can use commonly used household 3 in 1 oil or any similar brand. Apply to threads only. A drop or two is all that is needed.
3)
Do not over tighten treaded parts. Just enough to firmly secure or tighten. The threads do damage easily. Oil helps to insure a snug fit and fully threaded into connection between parts that are screwed together.

Suggestion:
When the entire project is completed. All parts installed and adjusted per instructions in the instruction guide, re contact me again. Let me know how the project went, the oven works and when the first dinner is ready. I'll be right over...LOL...

Not to worry what I eat either.
I eat just about anything that does not bite me first....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: