Gas Oven Door Hinges Squeak

Old 12-16-03, 01:17 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas Oven Door Hinges Squeak

Hi guys. My built-in wall gas oven door hinges, the long arched type, squeak really bad when opening and closing. I tried petroleum jelly which worked for a short time. Iam afraid to try anything else for fear of starting a fire when turning on the burner. Any suggestions??

Old 12-16-03, 02:54 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: rlodriguss. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

Petroleum jelly does & will only work for a short time. Mostly because petroleum jelly and most other lubricants are sensitive to the heat. High temperature grease is not.

High temp grease, of any brand or type can be used. Automotive stores and or hardware stores have this type of grease.

Appliance high temp grease is a very close consistancy to non fiber type wheel bearing grease, if not exactly the same. Applying some should work.

Also check for looseness in the hinges and brackets. Some types have screws and nuts which can be tightened some what. Some what means over tightening them too much and the door will not move freely or at all.

Some types of hinges use rivets. Which wearout and or become loose. Nothing much can be done with these types of securing devices.

Applying some grease may buy time but the entire assemblies of either type of hinges and or brackets will have to be totally replaced to resolve the problem for the long term.

On some models the brackets can be replaced without too much difficulty and without removing the appliance. Access is gained by removing the broilers inside side planels.

On other models it is a major task. The entire oven must be removed from the cabinet. The side cover of the oven removed.

In the above instance, the electrical power has to be truned off or disconnected, gas turned off and the flex gas line removed, either at the appliance or at the shut off valve.

Hope this info helps provide some ideas or solutions.

Appliance parts stores are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Appliance parts stores sell replacement parts for all appliances. The stores are listed in the phone book.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice. TCB4U2B2B Business Management Services. Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 12-17-03, 12:30 PM
Oven Door Hinges

Hi Sharp. I don't know why I never thought of wheel bearing grease. It should resist the heat. I will try that first. If that doesn't work I will try and renew the hinges. The door comes out rather easy, so it shouldn't be much of a problem.
Thanks for the advise......Ron

Old 12-18-03, 05:41 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi: Ron

Very easy to apply the grease too. A small artists paint brush will do fine. Not too much grease but coat all parts that slide or rub together.

Secret:
The grease we use is wheel bearing grease...

The field techs and service agents just carry it in a tiny non labeled container. Tiny meaning a lipstick container...

YEAP! That's right. A lipstick tube container used for lipstick.

NO! We did not have to use the lipstick first...the tubes come empty, are really handy & very cheap...

Old 12-19-03, 10:35 AM
Oven door hinges

Hi Sharp. Already done, works great.
Thanks for your help.
Have a great Christmas and Healthy and prosperous New Year.
Ron

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: