Ward Flex Gas Line

Old 12-19-03, 10:05 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ward Flex Gas Line

I recently got an estimate from a plumber to run a gas line from one of the house where the furnace is to the other end for a dryer and gas range.

He gave me two choices. First being the traditional metal piping.
Second being a ward flex gas line.

What is the opinion about this newer product as far as the benefits (cost being the obvious one) and what are the disadvantages.

If we finished our basement later, is there any consideration there?

THe line would be run behind another larger PVC pipe that runs the full length, so therefore somewhat protected.

Old 12-19-03, 06:42 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello sgange and Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

I am not a plumber nor would I know specifically what the codes are in your state. Therefore, opinions, suggestions and assumptions have to be made.

My assumption is the plumber would know what is code in your area if the plumber is a gas licensed in your area and state. In my opinion, the plumber would be one of the two most likely to know which material would suite the needs and meet the codes.

To verify which product to use and meets the code, call the local building and or safety departments in your town or area. Inguire what is needed for the intended purpose and meets code.

Another suggestion is to call the gas company. Often times they may provide some input, help to determine if the current gas equipment can handle the added load, the line should be added directly or indirectly to the meter or existing house line, etc.

Of the two choices, plan ahead. If there is any possibility the proposed to be installed flex line would need to supply yet another line in the future, attempt to plan for it now.

Pipe diameter and run length matters too. Plan ahead. The line to be tapped into may not be able to supply an addition of more appliances.

The flex might but not the supply line it will be tapped into, etc. Lots to consider. The more you know by finding out now, the better the entire job will be, the appliances will operate and satisfied you will be.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice. TCB4U2B2B Business Management Serivces. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Side Note:
Alway's consider the warranties and future service needs for any major appliances your considering to purchase. Price isn't always the best guide for long term appliance investments.

Old 12-21-03, 09:52 AM
Ward flex will allow you to move the gas line when you do remodel. Tell the plumber your plans for remodeling and allow some extra give if you need it.
Other than striker plates to protect the line inside walls, not a whole lot of protection needed.

Have your plumber show you the Wardflex card he recieved when he went to factory approved training. If he can't find it or has a blank expression on his face when you ask, you may want another estimate. Chances are, he has never been asked to show it, but he should be certified to do this aspect of plumbing work.

http://www.wardmfg.com/wardflexdetail.asp

Towards the bottom of the page.

More questions or problems, ask in this thread and someone will help.

Old 12-22-03, 08:05 AM
S
War Flex Gas Line

Thank you for the information, that was very helpful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: