furnace in mobile home

Old 01-20-04, 03:43 PM
richyd36
Visiting Guest
furnace in mobile home

Hello, I have a 14x70 1994 redman mobile home with the original furnace. This his thing used to stay nice and warm sometimes to hot now on cold nights or day with temps around the teens to 20s the temperature in here will drop to around 55 to 60 degrees . like the furnace cant keep up the air coming out of the vents will be nice and hot when it first kicks on . and after just a couple of minutes cools down fast and kicks the fan off the flame on the burner doesnt seem to be burning very big . i recently replaced the thermal coupling and filter .and also cleaned the furnace any advice on this problem would be greatly appreciated it is a natural gas furnace thanks

Old 01-20-04, 04:19 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Richard. Welcome into my Gas Appliances topic.

Lots of possible causes. The thermostat is the easiest to test. Set it as high as it will go and note what happens. If the furnace still shuts down prematurely, the problem is in or at the heater. If not, the T-Stat may be defective. Replacement is the solution.

If the same condition still happens and the heater also has air conditioning, the cooling coils could be clogged with lint and dust. Major job and one best left to the professionals to deal with.

If that is the case, the furnace is likely overheating and shutting down on the high limit safety switch. Or the fan motor is defective causing it to turn too slowly, which causes the overheating.

Small burner flames can have many causes. Restricted gas flow inot the control and or the gas valve itself. To name only two.

A defective fan on switch can be the cause. Or the high limit switch. Of which the unit may have a combined combo switch. Bear in mind both or either switch is high voltage house current.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, the thermostat is turned down and the gas control valve is in the off postion before attempting any repairs.

An excellent source for original replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store, the local heating dealers and agents retail part stores. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. The info will help to determine the possible problem causes.

Heating Agents & Appliance part stores stock replacement parts for almost every heater brand. The locations for the dealers, agents and retail part stores are listed in the phone book.

If you need further assistance, use the reply button to add any additional information or ask additional questions. Attempt the repair solutions or correctional method provided first.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
TCB4U2B2B Business Management Services.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 01-20-04, 04:47 PM
richyd36
Visiting Guest
furnace problems continued

it doesnt have ac. the burner doesnt kick off only the fan it will continuously kick on and off every 5 or 6 minutes the burner stays lit but the flame seems small and seems to jump the flame also is blue at thburner and yellow at the tips thanks

Old 01-20-04, 05:12 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hi: Richard

We are making good progress here. No A/C unit so that potential cause in elliminated. Same for the T-Sat since the burners remain on. Chances of firebox damage not likely, since the unit must be the same age as the house, 10 years.

Fan cycling may be the result of low burner flames. Once the heat buildup happens, the fan turns on and than off once the firebox cools down. Thus the small flames may be the cause.

Slightly yellow flame tips not usually a concern but could be an indication of a problem. Not easily disagnosed without first hand on site visual inspection by a professional.

Same applies to low flame size. Which can have several causes. One of which is a defective gas valve. Another is a restriction of gas volume and or gas supply pressure.

If the unit is burning natural gas, contact the local natural gas supplier. Testing has to be done at the appliance and the outside gas equipment. Same applies if the gas is propane.

Both above gas suppliers often provide service and or limited service with appliance inspection for proper operations. Might be worth contacting the gas supplier to insure the furnace condition is not hazardous, etc.

If it where not for the low flames with yellow tips, might just be the fan switch or the fan motor running too slow, etc. Still could be but you will need to determine all that.

Old 01-22-04, 02:23 PM
richyd36
Visiting Guest
furnace problems continued

ok i removed the burner and cleaned it as best as possible this thing is a little odd to me the gas valve is bolted to a sheet metal plate and has an orfice coming through the plate going in to what seems to be a rolled up coil of rigid looking tin this is the burner the flames come out the other end when i relit the pilot light after cleaning everything out the best i could the pilot light was hard to light everytime i put someting in the hole to light it its like there was some kind of air sucking the flame into a straight line and blowing it out when i did get the pilot light lit it was completely orange until the furnace kicked on and then it was blue and yellow the furnace is still acting same as before however i did take a screw driver and peck on the gas valve and the flame would flicker and turn completely yellow does this mean i might have a faulty valve any help greatly appreciated thanks

Old 01-22-04, 05:36 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hi: Richard

If there is a round access hole to light the pilot through, it is normal to have some wind turbulence in the firebox. I'll describe the furnace pilot access again so you know that I am aware of the furnace type. If I am incorrect, advise me.

The front of the furnace firebox has an access cover which is round and has a glass see through window. The access hole has one bolt to remove and the trap door lifts upwards.

The burner in down low in the center, is round and the pilot assembly is next to the burner. An extension rod is used to lower the match down to the pilot assembly to light the pilot.

If that is close or very correct, the wind or draft in the firebox is very normal. Holding down the reset button to allow gas to go to the pilot flame is normal.

Once the pilot flame is established, it will flicker around and appear slightly orange in color. So will the burner flames. Nothing unusual. Minor yellow is no problem on the burner.

That is normal. The flames will burn correctly once the access hole cover is closed and bolted shut. Closing the trap door allows air to enter the firebox only from beneath the burner. That creates proper flame characteristics.

Tapping on the furnace, gas valve, etc causes invisable dust which burns causing the orange flames. That condition can be created on any burner on any gas appliance. Normal condition.

Chances are the gas volume into the gas valve or out of it are or may be causing the problem. I cannot be sure based solely on a text only description of the condition.

May be best to contact the gas company or gas utility and have their expert or service rep take a look at the furnace. The phone number will be on the gas billing statement.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
TCB4U2B2B Business Management Services.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 01-27-04, 02:14 PM
richyd36
Visiting Guest
furnace fixed

hello guys i fixed the problem with the furnace it wasnt the furnace at all there was a window in 1 of the bedrooms that had about a 4th of an inch gap between the frame and the facing letting cold air come in therefore the return air was pulling the cold air directly into the return air and cooling the firebox down to fast i sealed the window up and problem fixed thanks for your help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: