Water heater tank not filling

Old 01-25-04, 12:42 PM
PaulWhite
Visiting Guest
Water heater tank not filling

This morning we had very little hot water. When I went to check the pilot light, I found that there was very little water in the tank. The water heater worked fine last night and it is only about 1 year old. Water is running through the heater fine (both cold in and hot out), but the tank is not full of water. Any ideas what is going on and what to do?

-Paul

Old 01-25-04, 03:28 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,228 Upvotes on 1,988 Posts
Assuming you have not done any work on the water heater or the plumbing in your house... I assume you are on city water. I guess maybe they did some work on the water mains and you got a big slug of air that collected in your water heater. It's just a guess.

There is a T&P (temperature & pressure) safety valve near the top of your tank. It has a little metal lever. First, make sure that the valve cannot spray on you, and put on a pair of work gloves so you don't burn your hand (just in case and to keep the lawyers happy). Pull/flip the metal lever up which will open the valve. You want to hold the valve open until water comes out.

Old 01-26-04, 06:30 AM
PaulWhite
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the response. In my goofing around I did what you said and a small amount of air did come out. I think that the biggest problem was me not knowing what was going on. There was a series of about 3 odd things happening at the same time that I didn't correctly analyze and I thought meant the tank wasn't filling. The only real problem was my wife said there was not as much hot water as normal. What she didn't tell me was that she had just had a bath before the shower. The shower also did not have as much pressure as normal....this is because apparantly someone had changed the spray option at the shower head. Anyway I jumped to an innaccurate conclusion and everything is fine. Thanks again for the help.

-Paul

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: