Maytag dryer has intermittent ignition

Old 02-04-04, 08:17 PM
MikeD
Visiting Guest
Maytag dryer has intermittent ignition

I have a Maytag model DG712 natural gas dryer.....will ignite ok on initial start ....during dry cycle burner cycles off and when ignition cycle restarts I get a" chattering" from gas valve ,ignitor glows but gas valve doesn't open.....after reading posts in forum i'm suspecting solenoids on gas valves.....checked resistance on coils ....seem ok ...can they be intermittent after they warm up?thanks in advance for any help!

Old 02-05-04, 04:47 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: MikeD

Yes. It is very possible the solenoids or at least one of them, is defective. The heat builds up in a solenoid since it is an electrical current using device. Resistance is not always the best test.

Once the heat buildsup, the connection inside the coil of windings is lost and the current stops flowing. The solenoid than drops the disk it is holding open and the gas stops flowing.

A hot glowing surface ignitor, working correctly, will glow an intense bright yellow orange in color. Any reddish color or a dull orange color indicates the glow coil is weak.

A weak glowing ignitor needs to be replaced just as much as a burned out ignitor in order for the burner to operate correctly.

Check for loose electrical connections, poor electrical connections, corrosion at all terminal and wire connections.

A defective gas valve is another possibility. Remove entire unit as an assembly. Take the entire assembly to your local appliance parts store for testing. Gas valves are not repairable.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
TCB4U2B2B Business Management Services.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always adviseable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance, connection and or repairs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: