gas oven- intermittent ignition

Old 02-12-04, 02:10 PM
sasass
Visiting Guest
gas oven- intermittent ignition

I have a Tappan gas oven.
Prob: when trying to use the oven portion (bake/broil campartment), the oven igniter will come on for an extended period of time before ignition, after ignition, there is a small flame around the whole burner tube. The flame gets no larger and their is a faint smell of gas. If I tap on the safety valve/ gas valve, I get a large flame instantly around the burner tube.
This is an intermittent problem. It may or may-not occur when first turned on, but will occur within an hour or two, and then continuously whenever it wants there after.
The stove is no longer in service and now sits on saw horses awaiting your advice.

I'm thinking, replace the electronic gas valve/safety valve.
But my past experience with stoves is makeing me seek out professional advice first.

Old 02-13-04, 06:22 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello sasass and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances topic.

Most likely the glowing hot surface ignitor is too weak to provide enough of an ignition source. That being the most likely problem cause, replacing the glow ignitor will resolve the problem.

A hot glowing surface ignitor, working correctly, will glow an intense bright yellow orange in color. Any reddish color or a dull orange color indicates the glow coil is weak. A weak glowing ignitor needs to be replaced.

A defective solenoid valve in the gas valve can also cause this type of problem. The solenoid is a coil of wire that creates a magnet which energized with current.

When the coil gets hot, it losses the electrical charge and the valve the solenoid is holding open closes. Replacing the gas valve resolves the problem if it is the gas valve that is causing the problem.

Check for lose electrical connections, poor electrical connections, corrosion at all terminal and wire connections.

Retail parts dealers can also help to determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. The info will help to determine the possible problem causes.

If you need further assistance, use the reply button. By doing so, the additional information you add or questions you may have, will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
TCB4U2B2B Business Management Services.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: