broiler won't light

Old 02-14-04, 02:35 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
re: broiler on GE gas oven won't light

Hello:

I generally frequent the small engine forum but am hoping someone can help me on my oven issue.

The stove in question is a GE XL44 self cleaning gas range.
Not sure how old it is but I bought it brand new at an auction 4 years ago for $300. It was missing a knob and the box was gone but it was definitely new. I've never liked it.

Model number: JGSP31SEP2HG
Serial number: S5213551Q

Anyway, the oven works fine but recently I tried the broiler and it does not work. The burners click when igniting but the oven does not, so I set it for broil and came back 10 minutes later. NO heat.
Then I tried the oven. NO sound for a few minutes but then I heard the gas and it fired up fine.

I clean this regularly using the self cleaning mode and have inspected the broiler burner. NOthing appears to be clogged or dirty.

Any ideas?

TIA,

Snowman53

Old 02-14-04, 02:46 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Snowman53

If the broiler has a seperate hot surface glow ignitor and it does not glow, check for electrical current at the quick disconnect after removing it from the ignitor. Use caution when testing for current.

Also remove the quick disconnect wires carefully. Hot surface ignitors are fragile and break easily. Also check all the control panel switches and controls to be sure everything is set to the proper positions.

If you are handy with a volt ohm meter, disconnect the power cord from the electric wall socket, test for continuity at the gas valve and from the thermostat.

Chances are the ignitor is defective, damaged or broken if it does not glow at all. Replacement is than the only option. Not a difficult item to replace but use care not to break the new ignitor while installing it. They are a non refundable item.

Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
TCB4U2B2B Business Management Services.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 02-14-04, 07:26 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
re: broiler

Hello Sharp:

Thanks for the reply!

Looks to me now as if this may be an issue like the one I experienced with my furnace--a brand new Carrier Weathermaker 9200 piece of $2,500 JUNK I bought the same time I got the stove.

Anyway, what I mean is that I started having problems with the furnace by Winter number one and it turned out to be the flame sensor; I could correct it for a while by cleaning it with emery cloth but had to replace it next season at a cost of $30 plus for the part.

Still, I have again digressed and beg apology.

My oven is hot now so I can't nget the access I'd like as I've just baked two loaves of bread and a pizza for friends.

That said, I did take a peek. I do see an ignitor for the oven and what I believe is the round unit for the broiler.

It appears to be similar to this "round oven ignitor" : http://www.allpartsgrills.com/item387191.ctlg

I'll put the oven on clean and get back to you tomorrow. Ohhh..any chance these ignitors can be carefully cleaned like a furnace flame sensor? A soft touch and emery cloth?

One can only hope.

I will have the part number of the ignitor tomorrow when the oven is cooler.

Thanks again,

Snowman53

Old 02-15-04, 06:06 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi: Snowman53

Hot surface ignitors cannot be cleaned. Replacement is the only option. Replace it.

The element is highly compressed carbon very much likely the filament in a light bulb. And equally as fragile. The element becomes brittle with usage.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: