BBQ Ignition Problem

Old 03-11-04, 11:23 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Grill-Sunbeam 760

Hi:

When I press the red ignitor button the small burner on the side "clicks" and I see the spark but there is no spark to ignite the main burners.

I changed the battery to no avail.

Any ideas? I've tried switching wires around and cleaned the contacts but can't get a spark underneath to light the main burners.

Thank you very much.

Bob

Old 03-11-04, 12:55 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Bob and Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum.

If there is a visable spark, check for gas flow around or at the point on the burners where the sparker is located. May simply be a blocked hole (port) on the burner, etc.

Visable spark does not indicate it is hot enough to ignite gas. Try using a match, note where the flames are located. May not be any near the sparker which would be the point of igniton.

Since you cleaned the sparker, be sure it is located exactly where it was. Distance between the sparkers tip and the burner are close to critical.

The burner is the grounding device for the spark. That distance also determines the power of the spark which in turn creates the intensity of the spark. Must be correct to ignite the gas.

If you need further assistance, use the reply button to add any additional information or ask additional questions. Doing so will automatically move your question to the top of the forums list of questions.

Reading the BBQ prep 4 summer thread in this forum may help to provide additional helpful advice....

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
TCB4U2B2B Business Management Services.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 03-11-04, 01:56 PM
B
Hi:

Thanks for the advice. But, I tried adjusting the distance and no spark. it does light just fine with a match. The grill is not that old - maybe 3 years.

I even went so far as to try to change the wires around and when I did I lost the spark on the small side burner. When I put the wires back to their original location the spark returned on the side burner.

The wires seem to attach underneath to a black box, literally. What does this box do and can it be replaced?

Any other ideas? Thanks!

Bob

Old 03-11-04, 02:21 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hi: Bob

No Spark? I was assuming there was a spark based on the info in the first original post question. Confusion. Seethe spark but there is no spark to light the burner.

In the case of no spark, wire switching does not resolve the problem. Nor does spending too much time attempting to fix it, in my opinion.

Also, in my opinion, the sparking feature is a great selling feature that works well for some time, until it dies. Fixing usually not successful based on time spent. Replacement is the next best bet, imo.

Part can be purchased at any local appliance parts store in your area. Listings in the phone book. Or simply use one of those BBQ propane lighters, as many of us have to do, when our BBQ sparker devices fail.

However, should you find the cause and fix it, kindly post back the cause and how the fix was accomplished. All readers of this question may like to know...

Sorry I cannot offer more helpful info. Slightly out of my direct area of expertise and not within my patience to determine the cause or fix when it happened to me several times with several BBQ's of my own...

Nor something we teach in our tech repair & service classes.

Old 03-11-04, 02:46 PM
B
Hi:

Thanks. I will probably try 1 or 2 more things then replace the parts.

Bob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: