Water heater question

Old 03-16-04, 04:10 AM
thisoldhouseguy
Visiting Guest
Water heater question

Hello fellow diy'ers,
I just replaced the hot water heater and have a question regarding the cold water supply line. This line feels hot to the touch at the water heater. I do not remember this line getting even warm on my last one. I installed a Rheen 50 gallon gas heater. Should I be concerned? I think not but just want to be reassured. Thanks, TOHGuy

Old 03-16-04, 04:25 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: TOHGuy. Welcome to my gas appliances topic.

Should not be any problem nor need for concern. Simply heat transfer through the water. Will disapte the moment hot water is used and cold begines to flow into the tank.

Actually a good sign in a way. Means the hot water is hot all the way up to the top of the tank. Older tanks gather rust and sediment which oftens does not allow as much heat to rise upwards to heat all the water.

Thus the heat remains more concentrated at the bottom of the tank. Which is where the thermostat is at, creating a false temperature reading. Not as accurate as a new tank whitout the rust and sediment.

Flush the tank out per the instructions in the water heater info topic posted in this forum or those provided by the manufacturer for years of trouble free service.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: