Butane leak?

Old 03-30-04, 06:23 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Butane leak?

Recently when I turn on my outdoor gas grill, a thick layer of ice forms over the valve connection to my butane bottle. I checked the connection to my butane bottle and didn't notice anything wrong. Is the ice normally a result from a poor connection to my grill?

Thanks,
Joey

Old 03-31-04, 04:42 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Joey

I doubt a leak exists but worth checking. The odor of the propane would be noticeable, if the leak where large enough to cause icing. Not sure about butane since it is not commonly used as a bbq fuel for the types of bbq's I am familar with servicing.

Icing may indicate a reaction to outside ambient temp. Usually asscoiated with a rapid discharge of the gas or an indication the liquid is escaping. Icing happens at the air bleed valve during refilling of the tank when liquid begins escaping out the air bleed valve.

Old 03-31-04, 05:18 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
odor present

Thanks for the advice,

When I turn the bottle off there is a odor present and discharge of butane out of the back of the valve. Is this problem fixable? or should I just buy a new valve, hose, etc.

Thanks,
Joey

Old 03-31-04, 05:50 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi: Joey

If there is any leakage at or from the valve, I would suggest it be replaced. May be the rebuildable type. If you are handy and that valve is the rebuildable type, you may want to give it a try.

However, be aware it is not a recommendation nor suggestion to do so. May not even find the parts or a dealer or appliance store that has parts for rebuilding them. Liability reasons.

The hose should be replaceable if it is not the press fit type. But even those can be replaced if the ends leaks.

Most privately owned local hardware stores have the hose end tool to replace an end, couple two ends together when a leaky section is removed, etc. Great resouces in a local hardware store.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: