Gas Dryer No Heat

Old 04-07-04, 12:00 PM
Christopher C
Visiting Guest
Angry Gas Dryer

I have a 5 year old 'Amana' gas dryer part LGA60AW that will not run except on air fluff.

I've checked the Igniter, flame sensor, Booster & Holding and Secondary Coil - these are ok.

I've checked the timer at least for the air fluff (no heat) cycle - this works fine.

Problem No heat cycle will work. I turn the knob to 40 -50 minutes, push the botton in - nothing happens.

Please help

Old 04-07-04, 02:10 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Christopher. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

If pushing the start button activates the drum, meaning starts it rotating, that function and button than is working correctly. (Clearing up any confusion which may apply based on your statement "nothing happens.)"

Nothing happens meaning no heat but drum rotates. If that is correct, than you will need to check the timer for continuity in one of and or all of the heat settings.

Based on the fact you stated thus far that was not done. Doing so may indicate the timers internal contacts are not operating. Which may be the only problem and true problem, since all other systems you mentioned have been tested and are working fine.

Once you can determine beyond any doubts the timer is working in all cycles and functions, something tested prior did not or was not done correctly or the results are not correct.

We can go back over those prior tests after knowing if the timer is or isn't the actual cause of the problem. Test and than use reply button to update this question.

Advise the results of the timer test. Will attempt to help you further, at that time.

Read this forum help note. Contains lots of dryer possible problems and solutions:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=159481

Old 04-07-04, 04:55 PM
Christopher C
Visiting Guest
Reply Gas Dryer

Thanks for the quick reply - what a great site. The Timer will only work when air fluff is selected, meaning the dryer will tumble. In the other settings when heat is needed, I push the button and no tumbe - dryer will not start tumbling and thus no heat.

Hope you can help - I think you can.

Thanks

Old 04-08-04, 06:58 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hi; Christopher

The clue to the problem cause is in the problem description. When the timer is in one setting the drum rotates. Which indicates the button is working.

However, timer in a heat setting pushing the start button does nothing. Meaning no drum rotating. Indicates the timer is most likely defective. Replacing the timer should than resolve the problem...

Old 04-08-04, 08:43 AM
Christopher C
Visiting Guest
Smile Dryer not working no heat

Thanks Sharp Advice,

Sounds like I'll spend some money. Just to make sure,

The Timer will work only in the no heat selection on the timer:

The Timer setting set on any of the 'tumble' only (no heat - air fluff) I can push the button in and it works, the dryer drum will rotate and the timer will time out.

If I set the timer on any of the heat settings, I can push the button in and nothing happens, dryer drum will not rotate thus no heat.

Still sounds like the Timer?

Where can I find this part - are they refundable if this is not the problem?

Old 04-08-04, 10:11 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Christopher

As mentioned prior, "Indicates the timer is most likely defective. Replacing the timer should than resolve the problem."

Which should answer your question "Still sounds like the Timer?"

The part is available at any local appliance parts store.
The stores are listed in the phone book.
Bring make, model and serial numbers.
Defective timer part, if possible.

Based on the problem description, what you have already done and tested, etc, the timer is the most likely cause of the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: