dryer motor replacement

Old 04-18-04, 03:54 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas dryer motor replacement???

I have a Magic Chief gas dryer. It is about 12 years old. For quite some time it has been making a very loud noise. I took it apart, removed the drum and turned it on. The noise was coming from the motor which I am assuming needs to be replaced. I have 2 questions.

1. Is it worth replacing the motor on a 12-year-old machine?

2. The dryer is a 20lb capacity. Does anybody know what that converts to in cubic feet? All the machines are in cubic feet these days and I want to get the same size. For example, 6.5cu ft or 7.0 cu ft.

Thanks…

Old 04-18-04, 05:17 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi: Ben

The motor can be replaced. Most likely a standard dryer motor. Which can be obtained at a local motor electrical repair shop, appliance parts dealer, Grangers or the like.

Electric motor repair shops can also rebuild the current one. Based on rebuilding costs versus replacement cost to consider.

Cost may be a factor only you can decide if it is worth investing in based on the appliances current condition. May want to replace any worn parts, since the cabinet is already opened. If replacing or rebuilding the motor.

Fact is, most likely is worth fixing that one. If the user(s) are happy with it, few bucks extra in additional parts to replace any already worn parts.

Be almost like new for a few dollars of invenstment and few hours of your time. Great DIY project too...

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
TCB4U2B2B Business Management Services.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always adviseable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance, connection and or repairs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: