disconnecting cooktop?

Old 04-21-04, 05:10 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
disconnecting cooktop?

I have a Whirlpool gas cooktop that I need to remove from my countertop so I can install a new countertop. There is an adapter connected to the house piping of the gas outlet and then a connector nut that connects to the adapter. I assume it is the connector nut and not the adapter that I need to loosen. Is this right? Is the connector nut a right-hand or left-hand thread nut (ie., do I turn counterclockwise or clockwise to loosen it)? Also, if the nut is hard to loosen, is there a way to make it easier to loosen?
Old 04-21-04, 09:31 AM
Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: The Shake and Bake State USA
Posts: 9,927
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello ftan. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Where the flex connector attaches to the gas supply pipe from the cooktop, there may be >either< an adaptor or a shut off valve.

Hopefully at shut off valve and not an adaptor. If an adaptor is installed and no a shut off valve is installed at that location under the countertop, than you will have to turn off the gas somewhere else.

Chances are at the main inlet to the gas meter. Main inlet is the gas supply pipe coming up out of the ground to the left side of the gas meter. On that supply pipe from the gas companies supply line and to the left of the meter, on the pipe near ground level, is the main turn off valve.

Be advised that equipement belongs to the gas utility company. In some locals it is >not< adviseable to attempt >any< gas turning off or turning on allowed to customers. Some gas supplies from the gas company may also serve more than one customer, etc.

>>>Best to contact them and ask before turning off any gas supply.
Old 04-22-04, 10:25 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
I was able to disconnect it. Thanks for your help.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: