Water heater relief valve

Old 04-21-04, 07:58 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Water heater relief valve

I opened the pressure relief valve on our water heater a couple of days ago as I do routinely to check that it operates freely and properly. I drained maybe a couple of quarts of water and shut it off. Now I'm getting a very slow drip, drip, drip from the relief valve drain outside the house. I've tried moving the valve around gently, trying to get the slow dripping to stop, with no luck. Obviously the valve isn't sealing or seated properly anymore for no apparent reason. I realize that this is not a problem, but I sure hate to waste any dripping water, even if it only amounts to a gallon or two a day. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated......Thanks-

Larry

Old 04-21-04, 08:48 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Larry. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

If the water is coming out of the pressure-temperature valve, chances are that valve has rust and or sediment under the seat of the valves shut off.

Lifting the lever slightly will allow water to come out faster. Doing so may or may not flush out the sediment or rust. Lift the lever only part way not all the way. Just enough to allow water to forcefully flush out and just enough till the water appears clean.

Doing so might clean out the valves seat & washer. Not always but sometimes. If it seems to work, check it several times or the next few days. May or may not totally solve the problem.

If at anytime flushing the valve does not work, valve replacement is the only known solution. Tanking flushing is also recommended. The instructions for tank flushing can be found here:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=134483

The relief valve could be defective. Replacing it will resolve the problem. Too much inlet water pressure and or the thermostats water temperature is set too high or there is sediment under the seat of the valve, in the tank, etc.

An excellent source for original replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store & or any local hardware store. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book.

If you need further assistance, use the reply button to add any additional information or questions, etc. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Read the prior asked questions in this forum topic and those in the waters heaters forum topic pertaining to water heaters leaking water and the replies offered. In them you'll find additional helpful information.

Water Heaters Forum:
http://forum.doityourself.com/forumd...ysprune=&f=127

Old 04-21-04, 11:01 AM
F
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you, Sharp Advice. I'll keep working at it.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: