Spark Ignitor Problems

Old 05-07-04, 12:28 PM
briancassin
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Spark Ignitor Problems

Hello,

I have a Kenmore Gas stove I do not know the model number it has a digital clock to it.

The problem I am having is that the burners on the right side of the stove will light both the back and the front the ones on the left will not.

I took the black caps off the top of the burners and took the metal burner thing out (sits under the black cap) I checked the hole that leads from the ignitor to where the gas is pooled up under the black cap it is clear of any particles or gunk...

This is where it gets odd with the black cap and the burner thing off when you turn on the left side either the back or the front it ticks and the ignitor sparks, however when you put it back together and try to turn it on it ticks on the right side instead and the ignitor on that side of the stove sparks (this is with the right side off) It does this on both the front and the back burners.

I can turn the left side burners to on and use a lighter to light them but the ignitors will not work... I don't know if their is a short or something else going on but it seems like it since when the burners are on they do not work.

The ignitors on the right side seem lower then the ones on the left side I do not know if their is a way to adjust these. The ignitors are mounted on the top of the stove they look like a ceramic disk with a mini spark plug in the center. they are mounted in a metal tube on the underside of the stovetop that goes to a frame that holds the actual gas valve (where the gas comes out of a copper valve thing) this is then bolted to the stove top with 3 torx type screws. each one of the burners it setup this way.

Please help as I am at a loss...

Old 05-08-04, 06:19 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Brain. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The sparkers are suppose to either spark at two burners or all four burners, regardless of which burner knob is turned on. That condition is normal.

As I read your description, two sparkers on one side (Right Side) are sparking when using any one of the right side burner knobs. If so, that's okay. Normal in some models.

Some models all 4 sparkers fire regardles of which burner knob is turned on. Normal again. Both methods are a safety related issue to insure any gas coming out gets ignited.

If using the left burner knobs does not fire the left side burners, that is another differnt problem condition. Same applies to the right side.

In the past, how did the sparkers fire? All 4 or only 2, turning any one knob?

If the sparker fires and gas comes out but does not ignite, another whole different issue. The sparkers must fire and the spark must arc to the black cap or side of the burner head where the black cap gets installed onto.

Old 05-08-04, 07:38 PM
briancassin
Visiting Guest
to answer your question

When I turn on the right side the sparkers on the right both operate when I turn on the left side only the sparkers on the right spark the left side does not spark. However if I take the burner heads (the metal things that drop into the stovetop and have a opening in the center about 1" wide) off the left side and turn the knob the sparkers then work on the left side, I put the burner heads back on no spark or the back one will intermitently spark but it will not ignite the gas.

If I have the burner heads on the stove turn the knob and then take a lighter and spark it the gas lights and the stove works. The right side lights perfectly fine.

I intially thought that the left side was grounding out since the right side was working when the left knobs were turned but the left side did nothing. So I am guessing that when the knobs are turned all 4 are supposed to spark but I do not know for sure since the left side does not work with the burner heads on.

I am not sure if this is related but their are 3 torx screws in the top of the stove that holds the gas assembly thing onto the bottom of the stove top, now the burner heads have 3 tabs or "points" that seem to match up with these screws. The heads of the torx screws are really gunked up with grease I am not sure if this could be causing part of the problem... I am not sure if that burner head completes a grounding circut by touching those screws because those screws go into a metal frame that actually holds the sparker (it holds it from underneath the stove top) and also holds the actual valve thing the gas comes out of.

I just thought I would mention this. The right side works and that is gunked up just as bad as the left.

If you need me to draw a diagram to better explain what I am looking at I can provide it just let me know I do not know if my descriptions are accurate enough or not.

Old 05-08-04, 08:43 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Brian

Very possible the sparkers are not grounding well. The sparkers casings must be connected so metal touches metal. Where ever there is spilled grease, etc. it must be cleaned.

Even though the right side appears as dirty as the left side, a ground is taking place. The caps must also be clean as well as the burners center circle in which they are placed onto.

Equally so, must be clean burner heads, where the caps are placed onto. As well as the sparkers themselves. All parts must than fir together according to the slots. Burners black metal caps only fit one way on the burner.

Based on the first paragraph in your second reply:
"When I turn on the right side the sparkers on the right both operate."

> That part above is correct and understood.<

"When I turn on the left side only, the sparkers on the right spark. The left side does not spark."

>May be the cleaning that is needed or the switche(s) are defective.<

"However if I take the burner heads...(off the left side) and turn the knob the sparkers then work on the left side."

>Dirty burners and or bad grounding.<

"I put the burner heads back on no spark or the back one will intermitently spark but it will not ignite the gas."

>Defective spark ignitors are than very possible.<

That model may have a dual spark modual interconnected through the wiring at the switchs under the top cover. Or the switch(s) on that side are defective and or dirty. Also check the wiring connections and terminals.

Be sure the appliance is not plugged in while checking wires, terminals, switch(s) and or inspecting spark modual(s) etc.

Except from a prior post:
Top burners that do not lite from the sparker, the most common cause can be restricted burner ports around the circumference of the burner head and or restricted burner ignition ports. Often times boil-overs and debris plug up the ports.

Ignition ports are tiny holes up one side of the burner head. If these holes are restricted, they must be cleared out. Cleaning can be accomplished using sewing pin needle. Do not enlarge the ignition holes. Doing so will have adverse burner lighting effects.

In cases of extremely dirty burner heads, soaking the burners in very hot water with plenty of dissolved automatic dishwasher detergent for several hours, rinsing and drying or a combination of both methods for heavily soiled burners.

For additional helpful information:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=159808.
Reading this thread will provide information on how to diagnose and fix problems.

Gas Stove Repair: http://www.sears.com
Appliances Parts Search: http://www3.sears.com/

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, downloadable repair and or owners manuals which may be available online.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be also. They will need the make, model and serial numbers.

Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice. TCB4U2B2B Business Management Serivces. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 05-14-04, 06:37 PM
briancassin
Visiting Guest
Talking thank you it's fixed

Thank you for all your help...

The ignitors were grounding out. What apparently happened is while I was cleaning it I put a rag around the ignitors and with a circular motion turned the rag around the ignitor tips and pulled up to get grease off of them what I managed to do was pull the metal tip of the ignitor up out of the ceramic white disk they sit in and so they were touching the burner heads. I pushed the ignitor heads back down into the ceramic disks and now it ignites perfectly everytime.

Thank you so much for your help.

Old 05-14-04, 09:17 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Brian

Sparkers where grounding out than. A little rough on the cleaning dislodged them ,causing them to ground out. Makes sense too. Does happen.

Which is why knowing how they worked prior is so helpful. Some models spark two sparkers while others spark all four burner sparkers. In this case, on that appliance, all four spark regardless of which top burner knob is turned.

Gald to know you took the time to return to the forum topic and post back what happened and how the problems was resolved.... Thanks.

Regards, Sharp Advice. TCB4U2B2B Business Management Serivces. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: