Installing Gas dryer & hooking up furnace line

Old 05-12-04, 11:39 AM
Twister
Visiting Guest
Question Installing Gas dryer & hooking up furnace line

We will be picking up our gas dryer tonight and will likely get the install kit as well (from the Home Depot). I've read through this entire forum on Gas Appliances and while there's been great information about installing a gas dryer I didn't see the answer to my question.

Our house was built for us in October last year. We had them do the "rough in" for a gas dryer which is on the upper floor of our house where all the bedrooms are located. To the best of my knowledge there is a shut off valve there. My husband is extremely handy so should have no problem doing the installation but we wanted to check out some stuff to be sure.

The only thing I didn't find listed in this section was how to hook up the line in the basement to the main gas line. Although all the lines are present, they are "dead" lines at the moment. Can someone direct me to a link that explains this?

thanks!
Twister

Last edited by Twister; 05-12-04 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-12-04, 08:39 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Twister. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

If I understand the part about the gas line downstairs as being dead, as meaning the main gasline coming into the house is not connected yet, it should not be.

The gas line in the house will extend to the location where the gas company will install the meter assembly. Prior to connection, there has to be what is termed a houseline okay. Which is issued to the plumbing contractor.

To get the houseline okay, the existing piping must be pressure tested and pass inspection by the cities inspector. That office than issues the houseline okay certificate and the plumbing contractor than installs the last end fitting and caps the line.

Once all that is done, the home owner contacts the gas utility for the turn on. At that time an order is issued and there service installor from the gas utility installs the gas equipment and turns on the gas.

Gas companies vary the system and procedures for owners to get the gas service started. Usually, the homeowner makes the first call to the gas company to start the process. Call the gas utility first.

The home owner should not connect any gas line nor connect any gas appliance to any gasline, which is a new installation awaiting gas service, or to a newly constructed house with gas piping installed or to any gasline or gas pipe, where gas services have never been installed prior.

There is no universal link to offer. Services and gas companies vary widely across the country. No two have exactly the same policies or procedures. Best advice I can offer you, as a professional in the industry, is to contact the local gas supplier in your area and or the city office or the contractor.

Once the gas meter is installed by the gas company, installing the dryer is okay to connect. Anything prior to gas meter installation implies there is no house line approval at the time. May be pending or not yet done.

Some gas utilities connect and or connect and service existing appliances free and or for a small fee when installing the gas service to the residence. Asking the utility when calling will provide all the answers....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: