gas grill lighting question


  #1  
Old 05-12-04, 07:40 PM
alexpfc
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
gas grill lighting question

Lately I have had a problem lighting my outdoor gas grill. I have an automatic (push button) ignition. The other day I turned the gas on, and pressed the push button about 4 times, which resulted in a big flare up, which was kind of scary. I realized later pushing the button so many times probably resulted in a gas build up. Anyway, I might be low on propane, but I can't tell. Would this be the reason?

Also, I always open my gas valve all the way. If I don't, it won't light. A friend told me I shouldn't do that, another said it was okay.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.
 
  #2  
Old 05-12-04, 09:05 PM
Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: The Shake and Bake State USA
Posts: 9,927
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Alex. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The gas valve on the propane bottle or the natural gas supply should be turned on fully. The burner control valve is where the turn on setting should be located.

Burner should be in the full on high position for lighting. That position helps to insure enough gas will come out of the burner(s) to allow proper ignition.

Therefore, turn the gas valve on. (Propane or Natural) Than turn on the burner gas control to the lighting position. That will insure proper ignition.

Providing the sparker is working properly. Which it may not be based upon the problem description your provided. Chances are the sparker rod is dirty and or worn out. Or the sparker button device is worn out and or defective.

Those parts do not last long anyway. Best be is to use a hand held propane lighter. Hold flame from lighter near burner and light burner in that fashion. Almost always insures a quick lighting and avoids gas build ups.

Most likely reason way there was a delay in gas ignition as you described is one of two primary reasons. Defect ive ignition sparker or the burner holes where the ignitor sparks are plugged up.

If reason two is the cause, the burner holes or ports must be cleaned out. This link will provide some help for clean and routine services:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=161480

If you need further assistance, use the reply button to add any additional information or ask additional questions. Doing so will automatically move your question to the top of the forums list of questions.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
TCB4U2B2B Business Management Services.
Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: