Cast iron burners in BBQ grill rusting!!

Old 05-17-04, 07:17 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cast iron burners in BBQ grill rusting!!

Last summer the wife and I bought a new gas grill to go with the new deck. We use it all year round, even the winter, and now it seems to have developed some cold spots. I took the grill apart this weekend, and I found that the cast iron burners are rusting and some of the holes in the burners were being closed off by the corrosion. I cleaned them all out with a small piece of wire as you suggested in the BBQ grill sticky, and it seems to have helped. My question is, is there anything I can do to stop the corrosion. I'm sure some type of paint isnt advisable, and oil probably will just burn off. The grill is (obviously) stored outside and covered when not in use, but it would seem to me that the corrosion on the burners is terminal, and they will eventually have to be replaced. Any suggestions?

Old 05-17-04, 10:24 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi: fatkid66

Not much can really be done to prevent cast iron burners from rusting. Same problem happens with chrome coated sheet metal style burners, except those types cannot be repainted, as described below.

We have tried, as an experiment only, wire brushing and or wire wheeling off the surface rust on cast iron burners. Than applying a high temperature rust proofing paint.

The paint, in the experimental project, did not burn up nor catch fire, as thought. At least not in our one time only test. The paint did help slow the oxygenation formation of new rust, for a period of time.

Later the rust reappeared and the rusting process began again... Same situation with the chrome covered burners, which did not do even near as well. Thus both attempts where, as you accurately described, "terminal."

DOA....

All attempts in the experiments where useless. But did proved the point.
Burner replacement is the only long term solution.

Glad you read the BBQ thread too. Clearing out the burner ports helps to ensure even heat distributioning and positive burner ignition lighting.

Old 05-17-04, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply, alas, it is as i feared, time to buy some replacements for the inevitable. If only i could do the same with my knees and back!!! Heh, heh, heh!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: