Adding a on/off gas valve


Old 06-01-04, 05:55 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Adding a on/off gas valve

I have a caped gas line on my patio the builder installed for a gas grill. However I need to add an on/off valve to it and hook it up to a Weber NG grill. I know how to shut the gas off at the meter, but I am not sure what type of valve to purchase, or what joint compound I will need? Also how do you check for leeks when you done?

Thx in advance,
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-04, 06:31 AM
Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: The Shake and Bake State USA
Posts: 10,440
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: comosum. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

There are two types of shut off valves which can be used. The inline type has two female ends. The other type has one female end and one male end.

The inline style (two female ends) is used when the appliance will have a gas hose attached to the bbq. The gas hose allows the bbq to be removed from a quick disconnect attached to the gas supply line.

Remove the existing gas cap on the gas supply pipe. Install the shut off valve. Thread compound can be applied to the threads inside the shut off valve.

Apply the compound lightly, to the inside threads, so as not to put so much that it would clog up the ball valves inner hole which the gas passes through.

Than remove the pipe cap and install the shut off valve. If you are not faint of heart and there is no sources of ignition in the immediate area, since the area is outside, no real need to turn off the gas at the meter.

Simply remove the cap and have the prepared shut off valve handy nearby. Remove the cap and install the shut off valve. If you are not sure of this method, turn off the gas first than install the shut off valve.

The shut off valve that has one female end and one male end is used for appliances which are not intended to be moved or disconnected. All the same above applies.

Any local and privately owned hardware store will have both types of shut off valves and either type of gas bbq hose, thread compound and or flex connector needed.

Thread compound can be used. But not required. Any type of oil can be used in place of thread compound. Check for leaks using soapy water. Leak soap is available but not needed, since the installations is not indoors.

Apply soapy water solution to all fittings and connections. Leaks will appear as bubbles. Soapy water solution can be made using liquid dish soap. Make the mixture rather thick. Apply. Wait and watch several minutes.
Old 06-01-04, 03:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thx for the help!!!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: