Low flame on my gas range

Old 06-01-04, 06:34 AM
jim083196
Visiting Guest
Low flame on my gas range

Good Day!

OK....I got the pressure regulator hooked up on my Kenmore Elite dual fuel 30" slide in range. I've got gas.....(see "conundrum" thread from before), but now the problem is that the highest flame I get on all 4 burners is medium at best. Seems like a gas flow/pressure problem....any tricks I can try to test out what might be the problem? Gas company won't come out to test gas pressure, and the only other appliance using gas is the hot water heater...how big should the flame be?

I am getting flow from the out feed side of the regulator, but don't have enough experience to know if it's normal or low...maybe a spider web climbed into the manifold feed tube and is constricting the gas flow? I dunno at this point...

Any help would be appreciated!

Thx,

Jim

Old 06-01-04, 07:36 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Jim

Top burner flames are not to exceed about one inch above the grates when no pot is placed on top of the grate. Flames too large will produce soot to bottom of pots and produce odors.

Newer stoves/ranges do not use large burners nor do they have high flames like appliances made years ago. Newer appliances are made to be energy efficient and take some time to get use to the new methods of cooking.

Therefore, the flames may appear to be smaller than those on older stoves/ranges but in fact be correctly sized. Minor flame size adjustments made or may not be able to be made. All depends upon the type of orifices used and the type of gas valves used.

You may try adjusting the burner flame size by turning the orifice hex nut using a 7/16th inch open ended wrench. Orifice is that nux nut that looks like a thimble. Usually brass or bronze in color.

Turning the orifice to the right, as you look down onto it, opens it up further. May take several turns to notice an increase in flame size. After several turns, if flames do not increase in size, orifice is non adjustable.

For members following along, Reference made to prior post is here:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=168572

Old 06-01-04, 07:48 AM
jim083196
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Part 2

OK...

Thanks for the super quick response! I know I don't have adjustable orifices...it says so in the installation manual. I also understand the flame size variation, but I can't even get a quart of water to boil, so I know it's way too low. It's a real aggrivation...

I tried adjusting the valves (precision screwdriver inside valve stem), but to no avail...anyway, all 4 burners are low. The flame size is about 1/4" at it's hightest setting.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

Old 06-01-04, 08:19 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hi Jim

Be sure the regulator is installed with the arrow facing the manifold. There could be a restriction in the manifold, as you mentioned but not as likely. May also check for any type of restriction where the regulator is installed onto the manifold.

I once found a small piece of the clear wrapping used on an appliance reg lodged in the inside of the female end of the regulator. Very rare instance indeed but it did cause the very same problem.

May also be a restriction in the orifices themselves. Rare again, to have all four restricted but possible. Also note the burner flame size on the ovens burner. If oven burner flame is small or as tiny, would indicate a gas flow restriction to the entire appliance.

If oven burner flame is normal there, problem isolated to only top burners, thus narrowing the possible areas to check and verifing that the reg is okay as well as gas supply out of the supply pipe and through any shut off valve installed on the supply pipe, etc.

Old 06-01-04, 10:05 AM
jim083196
Visiting Guest
Cool What about LP orifices?

Y'know....since this range was a scratch-n-dent product missing the regulator, could it be that I have LP orifices (higher pressure fuel) and that's causing the low pressure flame?

Hrm.....

Thanks again.

Jim

Old 06-01-04, 10:43 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hi Jim

Wrong orifices?...HUMMM....????
Yes. Very possible the current orifices are for LP. All prior info provided indicated the appliance was preset up nat gas. May not be so.

Therefore, next step would be to check the burner rate plate for btu ratings of the top burners and the oven burner. Write down that btu number, usually between 8,000 btu's for small diameter burners up to 12,000 btu's for large diameter burners.

Remove one small burner orifice and take it to any local appliance parts store in your area. Have it size checked for btu rating. Also take the brand name, model and serial numbers.

If the top burner orifice is an LP orifice, you will need to replace all orifices to both top burners. And those to the oven/broiler burner(s) Summation: All burner orifices will need to be replaced with natural gas orifices.

Prior reply suggested checking the oven burner flame size to note it's flame size. Have you done so? That burners flame size would also be small. Normal flame size would be 2/3rds the width of the flame spreader just above the burner.

Burner flames should not exceed the width of the flame spreader. Should be one to one & half inches inwards from the edges. Should be all blue. No visable yellow anywhere in the flames color when sized correctly and the air shutter is opened to the correct amount.

Check the oven burner flames size.

Also insure there is no gas flow restriction out of the shut off valve on the gas supply line. (pipe) Be sure the gas shut off valve is infact fully opened.

Lots of checking still has to be done, granted. Just too bad the gas ultility company does not want to send out a service person to check the gas supply out of the their equipment. Nor the supply volume and pressure at the gas supply pipe to the appliance.

In my opinion, such is not good customer service nor good PR provided by that utility or company. Knowing all is okay at those two locations would help both of us immensely, towards resolving current problem condition.

Old 06-01-04, 11:30 AM
jim083196
Visiting Guest
wow

Wow!

Lots of good suggestions there! The oven is electric convection, so no help there...I'm planning on utilizing your suggestions when I get home this evening, so wish me luck.

Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: