Connecting Gas Dryer

Old 06-05-04, 08:02 PM
jmeggers
Visiting Guest
Connecting Gas Dryer

I'm preparing to connect my new gas dryer to the line the plumber installed. The plumber's line still has the test guage attached, but I'm told that's passed its test and I'm free to remove it. That connection looks like a 1/2 inch female, will require a 1/2 male to connect to it. The flex line is a 3/8 flare fitting with a 1/2 adaptor included in the package. My guess is I need a fitting that's 1/2 male pipe fitting on one end and either 1/2 or 3/8 flare on the other end. Similar at the dryer itself, there's a 3/8 straight pipe coming out, so I believe I need an adaptor with a 3/8 female pipe fitting on one end and a 3/8 male flare fitting on the other end. I was hoping to find a 90-degree fitting for this (space limitations), but the local HD doesn't seem to have that so I guess I'll just have to try not to bend the flex pipe any more than I need to. I have pipe dope for the pipe fittings, but gather I should not use that on the flare fittings.

Can someone confirm if I'm on track here? Anything else I need to be aware of? Thanks.

John Meggers
Ashburn, VA

Old 06-06-04, 03:26 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello John. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The adapter that came with the installation kit gets installed on the dryers inlet gas pipe. The flexible connector gets installed onto it. Apply oil, any type of oil, to the pipe threads on the gas inlet pipe threads. Than install the adaptor onto the pipe.

The gas supply pipe, usually sticking out of the wall or floor, should be 1/2 inch iron pipe. The end should be male threads. Install a gas shut off valve on that pipe end.

Shut off valve should be 1/2 female pipe threads on one end and the other end is the male (cone shaped) end. The other end of the flex connector than gets installed onto the shut off valve.

If the gas supply pipe has a coupling end attached to it, should be removed to allow the gas shut off valve (female end) to be installed directly onto the gas supply pipe.

All the above is standardized installation for natural gas piping. Propane piping and installation varies slightly. Local and privately owned hardware stores should be able to help futher and have all the needed parts.

If you need further assistance, use the reply button to add any additional information or ask additional questions. Doing so will automatically move your question to the top of the forums list of questions.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: