Converting GE gas range from LP to Natural Gas

Old 06-15-04, 01:35 PM
el186161
Visiting Guest
Question Converting GE gas range from LP to Natural Gas

I was recently given a GE XL44 gas range, model # JGBS03PPA2WH. This stove was previously used in a mobile home and the problem is that I don't know how to tell whether it has been converted to LP. I hooked it up to natural gas and lit the pilots on the stove top and in the oven. The pilots burn very low and the burners won't light from the pilot when I turn them on. I can light them manually, though. The oven won't light off the pilot either. Although, I have not tried to light the oven manually (not sure that I want to ). The person who gave me the stove doesn't know for sure if was previously run on LP or NG (it came with the mobile home when they bought it). Is there a quick way for me to find out?

I suspect that it was converted because the extra set of orifices that should have been supplied are missing. Also, if it turns out that it has been converted to LP, what do I need to do to change it back to NG?

Old 06-15-04, 02:14 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I would call GE and see if you can get the kit for it .To change over. On some units they even have to change the burners not on all from lp to Nag.

ED

Old 06-18-04, 07:19 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: el186161

Based on the problem description, the stove is set up to run on propane. To convert it to natural, you'll need to replace all the orifices to nat gas orifices.

The oven also needs to pilot flame converted. Which is done by removing the temperature knob. There will be a set screw marked "L" and "N" Turn that screw to "N"

That is that is needed to convert the oven pilot flame. The oven burner orifice needs to be replaced.

The appliance regulator is likely to be a convertable one already. On the top of the tower will be a cap or screw. Read the markings on it. The side facing up tells you whether it is currently set to propane or nat gas.

To convert it, remove the cap and turn it over. Re-install the cap and that converts a convertable appliance regulator. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks when ever a repair includes any connection of a gas part.

If you need further assistance, use the reply button to add any additional information or ask additional questions. Doing so will automatically move your question to the top of the forum list.

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice
Do It Yourself Web Site Host & Gas Appliances Forum Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: