Propane Conversion

Old 06-26-04, 05:56 PM
Karen P
Visiting Guest
Propane Conversion

We are shopping for a used cook stove for our cabin and have heard it is easy to convert gas stoves to propane; is this true and if it is, what make of stove should we be looking for?

Old 06-27-04, 06:21 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Karen P. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Any stove or cooktop, regardless of brand name, can be easily converted to another fuel type. Simply purchase the needed parts from any local appliance store. Bring the make, model and serial numbers to the store.

Newer models are the easiest to convert, since they have convertable appliance gas regulators and adjustable burner orifices. Old models need new orifices and an appliance gas regulator for the specific fuel type.

You stated "shopping for a used cook stove." I assume not from a used appliance dealer. If so, you will need to convert the appliance if not already converted from natural gas to propane.

If you mean from a used appliance store or dealer, have them make the conversion prior to buying the appliance and do so as a condition of sale, not already included in the price. That way you save the time and money.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks when ever a repair includes any connection of a gas part.

If you need further assistance, use the reply button to add any and all additional information, etc. Any additional information you add will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Sharp Advice. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 07-19-04, 07:11 PM
Karen P
Visiting Guest
Propane Conversion without electricity

Thank you for your answer regarding the propane conversion. Now I have another question:

We wish to convert a gas stove/range to propane for use at our cabin. The problem is that our cabin does not have electricity. I understand we will have to manually light the top burners, but I am worried that the oven and the oven themometer work without electricity? Do you know if we need electricity to use the newer stoves?

Old 07-19-04, 09:07 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi: Karen

Ovens/broilers with electronic spark ignitors and or hot surface glow ignitors must have electrical power to operate. Cannot be lit manually as equipped.

Only the top burners can be manually lit with a match. Some thermostats will not operate without electrical power either. Best be for that inteneded use is to purchase and older model from a used appliance store. One that was built before the electronic igntion systems where installed.

Other than that, a conversion of the parts to non electric glowing hot surfice ignition and or operation will not be cost effective, in my opinion. The appliance must adapt to the conditions it will be in and not adapted to meet the conditions of no electric power.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: