Gas Dryer starting sporadically

Old 07-11-04, 05:34 PM
kelemvor
Visiting Guest
Gas Dryer starting sporadically

Howdy,

I have an old (not sure exactly, it came with the house) Whirlpool gas dryer. Last night it decided it didn't want to heat any more. I did some browsing here and found a few things to check...

I pulled the front off the dryer and of course when I started it the little glowstick worked and the gas ignited and everything was fine. So I put it back together and tried again and it worked OK.

Then my wife put laundry in it and it decided to not work again. So I took the front off to look and what happens is the glowstick thing comes on but apparently the gas never starts because about 10 seconds after the glowstick comes on, it fades out and normally it would have ignited by then.

So basically it stopped working, then started working and then stopped working again. I have no idea what it's doing. Anyone have any suggestions on anything to check? I'm not sure what would be wrong that would make it sometimes work and sometimes not.

Thanks.

Old 07-12-04, 05:50 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello kelemvor. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Chances are the solenoids are defective. They are on top of the gas valve. When one of them gets heated too much from normal usage, the coils of wire within them expand and break the internal electrical connection. Solenoid replacement is the only correctional option.

Replacing the solenoids, which are sold in pairs only, should resolve the problem. Be sure to unplug the dryer first and turn off the gas supply to it before attempting any repairs.

Remove the entire gas valve assembly. Then remove both solenoids off the gas valve body by removing the hold down cover plate. Replace both solenoids and reassemble the parts as you originally found them

Or take the entire gas valve unit to your local appliance parts store and have the entire assembly and all the parts on the gas valve tested. Some appliance shops will do tests while others may not.

Another possibility could be a defective gas valve. Remove entire gas valve unit as an assembly. Take the entire assembly to your local appliance parts store for testing. Gas valves are not repairable. Replacement is the only option, if the gas valve is found to be defective.

Flame Sensor is yet another possibility:
This part is located on the burner housing. If it's defective, it may cause the problem your discribing. You can test this part with a continuity tester or an ohm meter.

Defective Gas Valve could be the problem. Remove entire unit as an assembly. Take the entire assembly to your local appliance parts store for testing. Gas valves are not repairable. Replacement is the only option if defective.

CAUTION: Do Not attempt to repair the gas valve! This part is a non repairable item.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model & serial numbers.

Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for additional problem solving information and original replacement parts. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book.

If you need further assistance, use the reply button once again to add any additional information or ask additional questions after attempting the correctional method or methods offered.

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always adviseable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance and or repairs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: