Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Household Cleaning, Kitchen Appliance Service and Repairs > >Gas< Kitchen Appliances, Dryers and BBQ's
Reload this Page >

Gas dryer won't dry cloths. Dryer starts running, igniter glows, gas ignites,& stops

Gas dryer won't dry cloths. Dryer starts running, igniter glows, gas ignites,& stops

Old 07-18-04, 09:58 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a kenmore gas dryer that is giving me a simular problem as in other threads, it runs but the clothes don't dry. I dropped the front panel and started the machine: The drum started turning, the exhaust fan was blowing and the exhaust was clear, the glow plug or igniter lit the gas flame after a few clicks from relays and then the flame went out after about two seconds. I am hoping this is a sensor.
In other threads you describe measuring across the posts on sensors for continuity. Is continuity a closed circuit with no resistance or should the meter read some value of resistance?

Old 07-18-04, 02:04 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Letshammer. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

If the problem does not exist when the vent is removed from the dryers exhaust, we can than safely assume the vent is not restricted and or the flapper is not stuck closed or opening fully, not kinks or bends in the ducting, etc exists.

In my opinion, we could be suggesting possible defective parts, when not positively sure a restricted vent is not the direct cause. Thus, you should remove the vent discharge line (plastic or metal) from the machine and test first.

Remove the venting system entirely. Dry a load of clothes and note the results and or condition. If lint discharge is of a concern, use a ladies hosery. Slip one leg end over the discharge exhaust at the back of the dryer.

If the same problem exists, the most likely cause is defective solenoid coils. Most likely cause, least expensive parts to replace and easiest, in my opinion. Thus I suggest running the test first.

Dfective solenoids are not the only possible cause.
Several other possibilities, which are covered in the dryer info sticky:

Gas Dryer Help & Information Link:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=159481

Sears Main Site:
http://www.sears.com

Sears Search By Model:
http://www3.sears.com/

Whirlpool's Home Web Site: (Also makes appliances for Sears)
http://www.whirlpool.com

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers.

Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks whenever a repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Use the reply button to add additional information or ask additional questions. Doing so will automatically move your question to the top of the forums list of questions.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 07-24-04, 09:41 PM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Good news!!!

My dryer is working better than it has in years!
I measured across the posts on the sensors on the exhaust side and found each to have a closed circuit with little or no resistance.
I did the same on the two sensors on the flame intake and they measured little or no resistance in a closed circuit.
The relays on the gas valve were different, they measured 15k ohm on the primary and 1400 ohm on the secondary! Such a large differential I knew was the problem, this is why the gas valve would only open for a second and then shut off and would only spit a little gas out every minute or so as the igniter cycled.
I replaced the coils [17.99 ] at a local appliance part center. The head guy sold me Maytag coils, he said they were the same except ten bucks cheaper than Whirlpool ones
Thanks for the help, our dryer dries clothes faster than we can remember!
Thor

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: