Installing my new Gas Range

Old 08-03-04, 02:33 PM
lindakilmartin
Visiting Guest
Installing my new Gas Range

Hello,

I just moved into my new apartment and there is a lovely new hotpoint gas cooker (or range!), but it is not hooked up to the gas line (where the old range was).

I want to hook this up myself (with the help of a DIY-savvy male friend). Is this possible!? (I am the landlady!)

I will purchase all the new materials required for the hook-up, put in the anti-tip device, and follow the instructions very carefully.

What do you think?

thanks!

Old 08-04-04, 08:19 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello lindakilmartin. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

You certainly can install the appliance yourself, with a few precautions to be aware of, which applies in all procedures of connecting gas appliances.

First, be sure the new flex connector, assuming the fuel source is natural gas, fits the existing gas shut off valve already installed on the supply pipe.

Old style shut off valves (male end) do not allow new style flex connectors to be installed onto them. The two parts, shut off valve threads (male end) and new flex connector (female cap nut end) do not match up.

They are different. So if that condition applies, the shut off valve on the gas supply pipe must be replaced with the new style. Which means the gas supply to the apartment at the gas meter must first be shut off.

Than the old style shut off valve removed and the new style installed. The new shut off valve must be match to the size of the supply pipe and the new connector. All these parts are available at local hardware stores.

There are always many variables to appliance connecting. All based upon what is presently there on the gas supply pipe, fuel type used, etc. More specific details would be helpful.

Kindly use the reply button to add the additional information. Any additional information you add will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Old 08-04-04, 08:46 AM
lindakilmartin
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your reply

I don't know what the kind pipe feeding the gas into the kitchen is called.. but I will describe it.

It is just a simple pipe, with a lever to shut off the gas (short enough) at one end (close to the wall). At the other end, tHere is a 90 degree bend in the pipe and then a cap that screws on over the very end of the pipe (where the connector to the gas range will go).

Does that help in any way (male and female i dont know anything about myself)

THe type of gas.. I don't know either.. but could find out..

Thanks!

Old 08-04-04, 06:08 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi: Linda

Yes. Some new info is now understand in your posting reply.

The shut off valve must be in the off position. Than the cap on the end of the pipe can be removed and no gas will escape. On the end of the pipe where the cap was, once it is removed, is where the adapter gets installed.

Onto the adapter the flex connector gets installed. Same applies to the stoves inlet gas pipe. Does get rather involved I understand and difficult to explain and understand in a text only format like this.

For your own peace of mind, safety and possibly do to the complexity of the project, may be best to have plumber, appliance installer and or the fuel supplier connect the appliance. Safety is a primary concern.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: