Installing Gas Dryer ... odd size valve pipe HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-10-04, 07:46 AM
maggsw
Visiting Guest
Installing Gas Dryer ... odd size valve pipe HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

We just had a new gas clothers dryer delivered yesterday. The delivery man could not install it because the connector sold to us with the dryer was a 1/2" and the gas supply pipe coming out of the wall was much smaller. The delivery man told me to go to the hardware store and purchase a 3/8" connector with an adapter to allow it to connect to the dryer. I went to the store, described my need to the sales person and was given a new connector set with the guarantee that this would work. Once home I tried to screw every piece that came with the kit onto the flare pipe thingie coming out of the wall and nothing fit. One almost fit, felt like it was screwing on but then would just pull off. I called several plumbers and had one come out to the house and he said, "no way, nothing's going to fit on that" and said we'd have to replace the valve/supply pipe. Well, we're just renting this house so major repairs aren't really desirable, as well, all previous owners/tenants have not had this problem and have had gas dryers.

Any thoughts on how to get our dryer connected without massive replacement work??? I think the pipe coming out of the wall might be 1/4" ... it's got that flare end and has threads around the outside.

Please, help!!!

Thanks.

Maggie (first-time major appliance owner)

Old 08-10-04, 11:01 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Maggie. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Not an uncommon problem. The shut off valve not fitting the new style connectors. The shut off valve on the gas supply pipe comming out of the wall should be 1/2 x 3/8ths.

The pipe end, (female end) screwed onto the nat gas supply pipe is the 1/2 inch diameter. The connector end of the shut off valve, (male cone threads) is the size that fits the standard size gas dryers.

Standard dryer connector is 3/8 inch and 5-6 feet long. One end of the flex connector must fit directly onto the male end of the shut off valve. If the shut off valve is larger, it has to be replaced with the new style shut off valves. 1/2 inch pipe female end and 3/8ths male cone shaped end.

An adapter is a male and female end. This part screws dirctly onto the gas inlet pipe on the dryer. Once that is installed on the dryer, the flex line gets connected directly to it. No other place does any adaptors get installed.

1/2 inch connector for a dryer is not standard size. Which may be the reason the connector does not fit and will not fit. Reason why plumber said have to replace shut off valve.

Regarding the supply pipe. Should be 1/2 inch iron or steel pipe. 1/4 indicates or implies propane gas not natural gas supply. >Gas is propane or natural gas?<

Use the reply button to add additional information. Doing so will automatically move your question to the top of the forums list of questions should other arrive.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always adviseable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance, connection and or repairs.

Old 08-10-04, 11:11 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hi; Maggie

I almost forgot this. You paid for installation at time of purchase? And was sold the wrong size connector? Happens. Call installation company or selling store back and tell them you paid for installtion and want dryer installed. Installer should have smaller sized connectors on board delivery truck and parts to do the job.

Only time I am aware of when installers do not connect is when the shut off valve on a gas supply pipe needs to be replaced. Some natural gas companies also provide appliance installation services, for a fee of course.

Try calling both installer (retail store) back and local natural gas company. If using propane gas, some propane suppliers also do connections for a fee. Services vary nationwide. Inquire.

Old 08-10-04, 11:25 AM
maggsw
Visiting Guest
I checked with our gas company and the gas is definitely natural gas not propane.

"If the shut off valve is larger, it has to be replaced with the new style shut off valves. 1/2 inch pipe female end and 3/8ths male cone shaped end."

The male end coming off the valve (i.e. the part I need to connect something to) is smaller than any of the bits and adapters I have acquired over the last few days. Nothing will screw onto it.

Is there any way to acquire an older style connector hose?

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Also ... I called the retail store back and they will send somebody else out but do not have the parts required. They are meant to call back today to confirm their second trip out tomorrow and I will try again to get them to supply needed part but I'm starting to feel as though it just doesn't exist.

I did call the gas co. yesterday and they just deal with the gas coming into the house, not the fixtures inside. (Or so I understood.)

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: