adjusting gas to burner- yellow flame

Old 08-29-04, 09:06 AM
M
mik
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question adjusting gas to burner- yellow flame

hello, we have a 6 year old Magic Chef gas rande w/ propane supply. We've noticed over time that two of the burners have flames that are slowly becoming more yellow than blue. Can I make an adjustment to correct this? Also, one of the burners sparks longer (about 8-10 seconds) that the other three before it finally flames. Again, any adjustmant that I can make to correct this?
Thanks for any diy-er advice.

Old 08-29-04, 11:10 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Mik. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic & our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Each stove burners flame color can be adjusted seperately. The air shutter adjustment needs to be opened more. Which allows more air to mix with the fuel. The shutter is located at the end of the burner tube. Once the shutter is adjusted correctly and all lint or dust is removed, there should be no yellow flames.

Equally, clean out the air shutter area, clear out up the burner tube and all the burner head holes or ports so flames are present completely around the entire burner. Some burners have ignition holes up one side of the burner head. Usually three or four small holes used for burner ignition.

If these holes are plugged or restricted, burners become slow to ignite or do not ignite. Clean out the holes with a pin but do not enlarge the hole. Enlarging the ignition hole will cause other problems which cannot be fixed without replacing the entire burner.

Kindly use the reply button to add any additional information, etc. Any additional information you add will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Sharp Advice. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 08-29-04, 11:33 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Id also check out the pressure regulator for the home for 11" W/C make sure no spider webs over the vent holes on it. Clean the venturi tubes of the burners like sharp said.

ED

Old 09-08-04, 05:54 PM
M
mik
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks for the advice; no spider webs but I cleaned out the holes w/ a toothpick then made the suggested adjustments for the burner flame...works like new.
As always, much thanks from another d.i.y.-er

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: